• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kensington Publishing Corp. / Citadel / Pinnacle

jaredbryce

Registered
Reaction score
I have two historical romances published (well, one published, one in production for 2014 release) by eKensington, Kensington's digital first line, but I suspect my timeline was rather atypical (perhaps because it was considered for digital first). I sent a direct query to Kensington in August of 2012, got a full request within 2 wks, and got a two-book offer within a month.

If you check querytracker.net for Kensington Publishing, specifically the Comments tab, you can see what their responses rate is like. Another author who got a book deal from them (for print) around the same time I did had actually been under consideration for much longer than I.

Plus, last year I think one of their editors was on maternity leave and then ended up not returning so that affected their responses and their schedules a bit.

Good luck!

Also very helpful, thank you. I had seen that Comments tab and never realized that joining QueryTracker opens up dozens more Comments! Reading over those now... responses to writers seem to either be really long, or within a day. Quite strange.

JohannaC

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to query Kensington and I'm wondering (as a newbie) would it be best to query the editor-in-chief John Scognamiglio or choose a lessor known editor (whose name doesn't even appear in this forum) but who also accepts queries for my genre?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to query Kensington and I'm wondering (as a newbie) would it be best to query the editor-in-chief John Scognamiglio or choose a lessor known editor (whose name doesn't even appear in this forum) but who also accepts queries for my genre?

I think you should just choose one of the editors who's looking for your sub genre of romance, whether that's John or not.

They list what each editor is looking for on their submission page.

Last edited:

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Kensington Publishing Corp is running a romance story contest on WattPad here if anybody's interested. Though they've just now made the announcement, the submission period is from 1/25/15 to 2/27/15. There are pitching opportunities here.

Does anybody with more knowledge want to go over the official rules to see if they're decent? I'm not very well-versed in these things yet. Official Rules here.

Last edited:

Preacher'sWife

Crack that WIP!
Registered
Reaction score
in my own little corner, in my own little chair
Woot! Still alive! After receiving a request for the full from Alicia on Nov. 3, I took a chance and contacted her last evening asking if I could swap my original version with a rewrite I decided to do--changing it from first to third person. She answered back promptly this morning with a 'yes'. Now, to continue waiting...

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I received a full request from Wendy McCurdy's assistant for my paranormal romance novel last week. At the same time I'm querying a fantasy novel traditionally and have had some interest from agents. Would it be proper etiquette, on the off-chance I get an agent, for said agent to follow up on my submission to Wendy? Should I let Kensington know if I get an agent? I'm juggling two novels right now so I'm a bit confused!

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted thee MSs to them (1 YA 2 R) last night and they all got rejected this morning at the same time.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted thee MSs to them (1 YA 2 R) last night and they all got rejected this morning at the same time.

From Kensington's submission guidelines (here):

Please send a QUERY ONLY in the body of the email.

Do not attach manuscripts or proposals to e-mail queries.

That right there would be cause for them rejecting without reading. Also, most publishers do not accept multiple submissions.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys - has anyone attempted to sell to Rebel Base, Kensington's sci-fi and fantasy imprint? I can't seem to find any books by them, but it says they started last September and are open to submissions.

Any news would be much appreciated. :3

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
No news that I saw with a quick search, but Publisher's Marketplace might have more.

I did find a couple of contacts in their submissions page, hinting at genre:

James Abbate, Editorial Assistant: Science fiction (soft sci-fi, space travel, alternate history, cyberpunk, apocalyptic fiction) and fantasy (high fantasy, low fantasy, sword and planet, sword and sorcery, science fantasy, dark fantasy). No hard sci-fi, YA or paranormal romance. [email protected]

Martin Biro, Editor, Fiction (cozy mysteries with unusual themes, historical fiction and mysteries, suspense, women’s fiction, contemporary romance, historical romance, romantic suspense, soft sci-fi and dark fantasy. Multicultural and unique settings welcome for all of these genres.). No young adult or inspirational, erotic or paranormal romance. [email protected]

Elizabeth May, Editorial Assistant: Fiction (Romance, Mysteries, Women’s Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Sci Fi/Fantasy) [email protected]

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Adding this PW report in link. Martin Biro is the main editor for Rebel Base.

It's digital-only, which tempers my enthusiasm a little bit.

Barb Hendee is the only author I've found so far for them, and her novel won't be released until Jan. 2018. So they're taking their time, which is good.

Last edited:

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Adding this PW report in link. Martin Biro is the main editor for Rebel Base.

It's digital-only, which tempers my enthusiasm a little bit.

Barb Hendee is the only author I've found so far for them, and her novel won't be released until Jan. 2018. So they're taking their time, which is good.

Thank you for the information!

What does it mean by "digital only"? As in, they don't do POD or they don't do any distribution? I'm just curious.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
'Digital Only' means they won't do a print version, or at least start out with an ebook version only until they see what sales look like.

Ah, just as the name implies. Digital only. Derp.

Thanks for the info once again! :3

Old Editor

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've a girlfriend who is published with them through the Lyrical Press. Okay contract, no advance (or actually they pay one at their discretion). After about two weeks, sales were so good, they put her first two books out in POD, with a third signed, then later they signed her for two more books, same deal. Only thing she didn't like is that they sent the contract for the two new books two months before they were obligated to send her the sales report and first royalty check on the earlier books. She had no amunition to negotiate a new deal on the new books. She waited six weeks to sign the new contract and finally gave in last week.