• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kensington Publishing Corp. / Citadel / Pinnacle

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Kensington's the mother ship that owns Zebra. Lord knows they're not high end, but they're for real.

There's plenty to beware of in the murky lower reaches of legit publishing, but it's a different set of monsters and a different set of worries. Whatever else you can say, they do make their living selling books to readers who aren't personally acquainted with the author.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Kensington

Greetings!

I don't know anything about Ms. Sares, but I do know that Kensington strung a writer friend of mine along for over a YEAR before they finally got around to sending out a formal decline for publication. "Still reviewing it" is what they kept telling her.

Cheryll

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Kensington

Kensington is one of the pubs looking at my novel ms. right now (agent-submitted). I have heard only good things about them, albeit the fact they are considered more of a "pulp" publisher. I know SFWA, RWA, and others consider them a professional market acceptable for Active Member admittance to their organizations. Anyone here have first-hand experience with their turnarounds on agented submissions?

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
We've submitted manuscripts to Kensington, with mostly a fast answer. Some MS are still there. One division actually emailed us and told us exactly what they are looking for (and not). They also take emailed agented queries, but like hard copy instead of email submissions.

We've not sold them anything, yet, so we don't know anything about what kind of contract they offer.

UPDATE: They do take email submissions now, and they are nice folks. Very busy editors, though.

Last edited:

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Michaela Hamilton at Kensington Books

She responded to my query and asked for my book proposal and two sample chapters. Asked for them both as e-mail attachments so no printing/postage costs -- yea! (My comprehensive NF proposal is 81 pages!)

She said it would take about a month to get back to me and to "be patient."

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Michaela Hamilton read--and passed--on sample chapters and a proposal within a week, so the turnaround has been speedy, which is appreciated.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Kensington move

I just heard kensington publishing is moving their offices. Does anyone know their new address, or haven't they moved yet.

I also heard Hilary Sares left. Figures. She had my novel under consideration.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
New address

As of February 16th, the new Kensington address will be 119 West 40th Street, New York, New York 10018. The phone numbers remain the same.

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
On April 4, 2009, I queried John Scognamiglio, editor-in-chief at Kensington, because he was the only agent who listed gay fiction in his rep list. I haven't heard anything yet.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Their website has instructions for submissions, which I followed last August, (also to John S., Dawn). I received a form letter rejection from John about a week later suggesting that I try to find an agent. Maybe my material didn't wow him (or his editorial assistant), but it made me think that getting their attention without an agent is probably tough.

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
Yes, I think you're right. Kensington was suggested to me by an agent who wasn't the right fit. I haven't heard back from them...no rejection...no nothing.
*sigh*

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I'll second what Toni1953 said, Hilary is no longer with Kensington,:)Hug2:Toni) but I haven't heard if she moved to another publishing house.

After enjoying time 'playing' in the '07 Brava novella contest forums, I queried Kate Duffy mid '08 (she only takes snail queries) I heard back in a very reasonable 8 or 9 weeks. A rejection, but personalized and ultimately very positive. I know the author's Ms. Duffy works with appear to adore her. Goes without saying (and yet, here I'm going to say it anyway) I'd be tickled to work with her and Kensington.

Dawn, I wouldn't write off a 5-6 week old query just yet. Even with e-queries, many agents and editors take 10-12 weeks to respond. Good luck!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Would greatly appreciate any info or first hand experience about Kensington Publishing, as they are about to review my (agent-submitted) fiction manuscript. I realize that they are a legit indie, and I've heard of many books that they published. Still, would love the insight from a fellow AWer.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
I received a 4 minute response and request from John S. He indicated that his response time on a full is anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks, if that helps anyone in the waiting game.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
HapiSofi, Could you elaborate on what you stated: "...they make their living selling books to readrs who aren't personally acquainted with the author"?

AyJay, I viewed the web site, and couldn't locate anything about MS submissions. Where is it?
Kensington's the mother ship that owns Zebra. Lord knows they're not high end, but they're for real.

There's plenty to beware of in the murky lower reaches of legit publishing, but it's a different set of monsters and a different set of worries. Whatever else you can say, they do make their living selling books to readers who aren't personally acquainted with the author.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
HapiSofi, Could you elaborate on what you stated: "...they make their living selling books to readrs who aren't personally acquainted with the author"?

Basically what Hapi means is that publishers who sell to readers not known to the author are publishers who get their books into bookstores. They have distribution, they don't require the author to be the main source of sales and distribution. Good publishers make their money from readers - bad ones make their money from their authors.

Reactions: frimble3

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com

AyJay, I viewed the web site, and couldn't locate anything about MS submissions. Where is it?

http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=14298

I hadn't been back to their website since last August, but this is what I found. I see they've updated it a bit allowing e-mail queries and a list of editors. I might try again this year with a different editor.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Kensington Press.

I've read about this publisher online and they are legitimate. But it bothers me that they aren't coming up in search here on AW. My book is nonfiction, and it says that they acquired Citadel Press to handle non. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Thank you for any help. It's most appreciated.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
John S. is my editor. He's fantastic. My experience with them thus far has been excellent, and negotiations to contract seemed pretty quick (though my sub was done by my agent, so I can't speak for the unagented query/acquisition process).