• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Michael Gackler Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I find it very odd he makes no mention of the author(s) behind his rights offerings.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
How widespread is it for an agent to send stuff out or advertise it without naming the author? Does it happen a lot, sometimes, never?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little more concerned about the fact that he's delving into screenplays and novels to represent.

MikeGackler

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I have questions of an individual or a business, I directly ask that person or company before asking my peers to speculate. But since the discussion has already started, let me address everyone's concerns.

Yes, I am "new in town." Southeastern Michigan is poised to become the New Hollywood. We have many new production studios moving in, and the future is exciting. It only makes sense to join an industry that is moving into one's back yard.

No, I am not representing myself. I have found a pool of talented aspiring authors to represent. They're work rivals all of what you are seeing in print and on screen today. I believe in their writing and know they are the next best selling authors and writers for top Hollywood films.

I chose not to mention names of authors on my website. However, IF I choose to represent you, I am willing to provide references. I'm not exactly sure how any of you can speak to whether I "send stuff out" without mentioning names. (Actually, I usually do mention their names, background, previous work, what they eat for breakfast, etc.).

I'm not sure why M.R.J. LeBlanc is concerned about what I delve into, unless he plans on paying my mortgage should this venture fail.

Any other questions, please ask!!

Michael Gackler of The Michael Gackler Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Mr. Gackler. What experience do you have with the industry and/or representation that would give prospective clients confidence you can sell their work?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I have questions of an individual or a business, I directly ask that person or company before asking my peers to speculate. But since the discussion has already started, let me address everyone's concerns.

Yes, I am "new in town." Southeastern Michigan is poised to become the New Hollywood. We have many new production studios moving in, and the future is exciting. It only makes sense to join an industry that is moving into one's back yard.

No, I am not representing myself. I have found a pool of talented aspiring authors to represent. They're work rivals all of what you are seeing in print and on screen today. I believe in their writing and know they are the next best selling authors and writers for top Hollywood films.

I chose not to mention names of authors on my website. However, IF I choose to represent you, I am willing to provide references. I'm not exactly sure how any of you can speak to whether I "send stuff out" without mentioning names. (Actually, I usually do mention their names, background, previous work, what they eat for breakfast, etc.).

I'm not sure why M.R.J. LeBlanc is concerned about what I delve into, unless he plans on paying my mortgage should this venture fail.

Any other questions, please ask!!

Michael Gackler of The Michael Gackler Agency

Actually I'm a she :) No offense taken though, I kind of realized after it wasn't the greatest username choice.

Anyway, the reason it concerned me is because I've not seen any agency who delved into something other than novels and succeed. I get the impression that agencies are either one or the other; you either represent books or screenplays. You're too busy to do both, and they are two very different markets.

As for not mentioning authors, I find that odd. Work you've sold to publishers is the biggest mark of your ability, it shows potential new clients that you can do the job. Why would you hide such an asset? In the past, what I've seen on this board is those agents who hide their client list usually do so for a reason - they either don't have one, haven't actually sold anything, or sold to less-than-reputable houses. Not to say any of those apply to you specifically Mr. Gackler, but that's the first thought many of us here get because that's what we've seen in the past. If you are so confident in your authors, and if in fact you have sold projects, it just doesn't make sense not to publically announce it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Books and screenplays are two very different markets. Few agents have expertise in both.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Let me add my welcome, Mr. Gackler. Many of us feel comfortable and safe here, and it houses many users who may have ready access to information we've been unable to locate, or simply don't know where else to look for it.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score

I have actually heard of an instance where an agent sent a book out and withheld the author's name, so considering that you withhold the names of your authors on your site, my question wasn't that strange. I just wondered if it was a widespread practice.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
I have actually heard of an instance where an agent sent a book out and withheld the author's name, so considering that you withhold the names of your authors on your site, my question wasn't that strange. I just wondered if it was a widespread practice.

I've only ever heard of one agency that doesn't list its authors on their website. I can't remember the name, but I do remember that they're such a heavy hitter agency they don't need to - everyone knows who they are. They don't rep my genre, so the name didn't stick :)