Swine Flu Could Affect Up to 40% of Americans Within Two Years

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
I'm puzzled???? Why the hell didn't you charge him? that's against the law...has to be. the charter of rights, and what not.

It is. However, it would be his word against mine. Usually, and this is why the laws are not perfect nor are they always enforced, this kind of thing is ignored by the appropriate authorities that govern this kind of maltreatment.

Nothing is perfect in a less than Utopian world.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
It does say "could" and "up to", which suggests the conclusion is meaningless.

Contrast with: Swine flu will hit 40 percent in US

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
What percentage of Americans get regular flu every year? How many die? This swine flu seems to be on par with those regular flu numbers. Most deaths occur to those with weak immune systems or other underlying health problems.

Stock up on chicken soup and tissues, and make sure you've got some sick days banked. No reason to panic.

Personally, I don't get flu shots. I also don't run to the doctor every time I have a sniffle. In fact, even though I'm 'heavy' (I laugh at your link b/w obesity and flu), I'm rarely if ever sick. I get a sore throat now and again, but hardly ever get the virus-of-the-week, and haven't had the flu in longer than I can remember.

I do get flu shots for my son. He has no ill effects, and has yet to have the flu either. My husband on the other hand, usually gets sinus infections, flu, and every other thing you can imagine. I don't know why.

I had a relative die in the 1918 epidemic - my grandmother's sister. It's possible my grandmother passed her immune system strength down the pike to me, as Charles Darwin might have predicted.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think the flu I got the other month was probably swine flu. We're swamped with it here, and I had my flu shot earlier for that strain. Thank God SF is not more damaging.

I hope it was Swine Flu; when it picks up during regular flu season I could have immunity. Cool.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Just follow the advice from The Guardian! www.guardian.co.uk

If you don't want to catch swine flu, stay away from sick people. No. I hadn't thought of that either.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, my great-grandmother poole's entire family was killed in the 1918 epidemic. She was the only survivor out of 11!

Those kinds of casualty figures that make people scared of new flue pandemics.

Most of the scares amount to nothing.

...most of them.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
In fact, even though I'm 'heavy' (I laugh at your link b/w obesity and flu), I'm rarely if ever sick.

That's fine to laugh at it, and it's great that you are rarely sick, but the fact remains that there's a strong possibility obesity does increase the risk of swine flu complications. It's not surprising given how much more taxing extra weight is on the human body.

I remember you mentioning before that you do maintain a healthy diet, so that is likely serving you very well as far as your health goes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051902609.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090710/ap_on_he_me/us_med_swine_flu

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's strange. I haven't heard of a single case around here (Southwest Ohio/Cincinnati).

And I've never had a flu shot in my life and don't intend to start now.

If I go, it was nice knowing you people.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Nice for me, I meant.

Certain exceptions excluded, of course. :D

RonjaCecilie

Norwegian fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Around 120 Norwegians out of 4 million has had it or has it. People are walking around with scarfs and other things round their mouths, panicking if someone sneezes. Crazy people.