Baby's Got a Bad Source of Period Names

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again, guys!

pdr said:
for British census urls are in Resources by Era stickied at the top of this board.
I finished double-checking my English lists months ago, but if the census records include separate info for the other UK areas...

Cassiopeia said:
Being LDS, I have not heard that DAR is a LDS owned site.
I think Puma's referring to www.familysearch.org. Apparently, some parts of it are more accurate than others.

Snowstorm said:
If it's names you're looking for, AZ_Dawn, have you considered looking up cemeteries? Many of them have typed lists of the headstones and sometimes they'll include photos of the headstones. Plus, I've come across private groups who have gone around on their own, written what's inscribed on the headstones and published those lists on the Web. Of course, the older the tombstones get, the more likely they'll vanish and may not exist. But it's also on easy way to get actual names and accurate dates.
They've helped somewhat, though most of the inscriptions were from the 19th and 20th Centuries. If I'm lucky, it'll say something like "John Jones, died 1809, age 89" and I can do a little math to find when he was born. ;)

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I simply use period documents. For example for late 13th and early 14th century Scottish names, I mainly use names from Johne Barbour's The Brus and names from the Ragman Roll.