The Writer/Agent Relationship

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Once a writer's work is sold by an agent, does the relationship between the agent and the writer end? More to the point, must the writer's next project go through the same query/proposal process or do they automatically begin planning the next Big Idea? Also, would an agent be able to assist - in between longer works - finding other markets for the writer (article markets, paid blogs (e.g. Daily Beast), paying venues for short fiction)?

I am sure this is all relative to how the work progressed between agent and writer. Perhaps even ladies agent's choice depending upon how the work sells.

Just curious.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No, the relationship would not end after your agent's made a sale. A good agent is there to help you shape your whole career and will want to discuss what you have in mind for your next project.

And to put it in more cynical terms -- if they've just made money off you, why would they not be interested in what else you can produce?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The whole point of having an agent is to have a partner in your career, someone who gets your writing, understands your goals, and works with you on both. Oh and also sells your books ;) . I sense some cynicism from your post (well all your posts), as well as a wee bit of a chip on your shoulder, but let me assure you that such relationships not only are possible but are very common. I myself wouldn't trade my agency for anything, not only is my agent fantastic and a great motivator, but the head of the agency himself asked to talk with me just to give me a bit of a pep talk.

Also, again, they are incredible deal makers.

I have a friend who's agent couldn't sell her first work no matter how many times they went back to the drawing board. This agent met with an editor friend who told her what they were looking to buy at the moment. The agent promptly went to my writer friend and asked her if she thought she could write that book. My friend did, and together they put together a fantastic submission, resulting in a 3 book deal with Harper Collins. And they are still working on selling that other book.

Now it can be that an agent and author don't work well together, you do read about that happening as well. And this is where the adage, "No agent is better than a bad agent" comes in. And this is also why it is such a tough job finding that right agent.

Let's also not fool ourselves, authors are so grateful to have an agent interested at all that they are willing to put up with a lot. But they shouldn't, and invariably those authors who are not happy with the relationship eventually part ways with their agent. Many move on to find just the right match.

Agents and their authors often become friends, because they work together for so long.

At any rate, no. The whole point of getting an agent, and the reason the process is so long and involved, is that both author and agent are looking for a long time thing.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow it sounds a lot like dating...perhaps this is from where you sense my cynicism.... :)

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Not to mention the fact that your agent will have a 15% take on any royalties you earn after you (hopefully) earn out your advance, so they have a vested interest in making sure your book does well. The agent is also there to make sure the editorial process is going well, congratulate you when the book comes out, talk you down when you hate the cover, etc. etc. etc.....

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
It is alot like dating... but it really sucks when it turns into a one night stand.

I also agree with the previous posts though. The agent that signs you should ask those questions and want to look towards your future. If they are going through the motions with you on one book then they should be interested in more from you if you click.

Best of luck to you though.

Wow it sounds a lot like dating...perhaps this is from where you sense my cynicism.... :)

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I suppose you could say that if an agent is not asking you those questions or taking that kind of interest in your future work, perhaps consider leaving the relationship before the agent sneaks away at 3 AM with a few frozen steaks, your favorite hooded sweatshirt, and the Blu-Ray player?

Last edited:

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I am also interested in this question. I feel like I have a pretty good relationship with my agent. She's proven to be great at editing, and extremely responsive and patient. Our communication is great. Currently, she's trying to sell my first book, and I am thinking of how to approach my second (which is written, currently being edited) and my third, fourth, fifth, which are all conceived, to some degree. We haven't talked much outside of Book 1, and our contract is for the sale of Book 1. I am curious about the logistics of extending the relationship. Will I need to sign a new contract for Book 2 and each subsequent one?

Just curious.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Will I need to sign a new contract for Book 2 and each subsequent one?

Just curious.

That's difficult to answer because we're not privy to the terms of your contract. Reread your contract because he answer to your question is probably there. If it isn't, pick up the phone and call your agent.