What education for a writer of historical fiction? History? Writing?

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but The Arts Good Study Guide is highly recommended by the Open University. I have a degree in journalism, which really helped me learn how to use sources, but I'd maintain that distance learning is far better than classroom learning as it forces you to work much harder in coming up with your own theories. By the same token, any novelist keen to write an accurate historical novel is a distance learner. It's about managing your time and learning how to read the sources.

mayamolly

I haz a pomegranate
Registered
Reaction score
A couple agents ask writers to explain in queries their qualifications for writing the novel. I understand the need to know for nonfiction-but for fiction it's a murky question. Would I have to be a teacher to write about one? Or do I just need to make the classroom scenes come alive? Like you, I'd like more education in certain topics, but I feel good research fills in most gaps.

I've been wondering about this end of things-- what kind of qualifications I might want to list when I (eventually) query. I'm getting way ahead of myself right now, but do the kinds of qualifications to list differ for us? I.e., would I want to say that I earned a Jewish Studies certificate in college and once won a Jewish Studies college research paper competition? That would get me laughed out of the inbox for normal fiction queries, but as I'm writing about an event in Jewish history, I wonder if it's appropriate to list in a query for this kind of book. Unfortunately, I too lack a PhD or any kind of "real" qualifications. :) I'm enjoying learning, though!

P.S. I went to Pitt too, Firedrake!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'd list it, Mayamolly. Particularly if any aspect of your novel utilizes your special knowledge. I remember when I pitched my novel that dealt with a call-in crisis phone line, I mentioned in my cover letter that I'd worked as a volunteer on such a line.

I don't think you have to be degreed in an area to make your experience work for you.