JSTOR: Can an independent writer gain access? Similar resources?

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
JSTOR keeps coming up in my google searches for resources on 16th century France. In poking around their website, I don't see a way for a non-affiliated writer to gain access. Any ideas? Any other similar websites we CAN use?

ETA: I've e-mailed my local public library to see if they have access.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

If you're an alum of a college, you might ask them for online access if you can't find a local library.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
My local library doesn't have access, but the university one does. I'd already joined their friends of the library group ($25.00) a year for access to checking out books and in-library data bases including JSTOR. I can't download from home (maybe I'll suggest the pay per article idea to them) but it isn't that far away.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
If you're an alum of a college, you might ask them for online access if you can't find a local library.

Awesome idea. I hadn't thought of that. And my alma mater is only 20 minutes away, making it even better. I'll call them tomorrow.

My daughter is a student at the community college. Maybe I could get her to get stuff for me?

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I'm also going to contact my alma mater and see if I can get stuff directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
Get your daughter to look up JSTOR in her college's online library catalogue. There may be a link that lets you access the database from home by entering her student number or a college PIN of some sort.

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
A great free database for French history is Gallica, which is run by the French national library. They've digitized all kinds of out-of-copyright books that would otherwise be a pain to track down. The interface can be kind of clunky and, naturally, the books are all in French (when they're not in Latin), but it has saved me from having to make many, many inter-library loans. I see that they have quite a few volumes of the Gallia Christiana series, for instance.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Most university libraries will allow non-students to have library cards. Check at your local U.