This place really puzzles me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I am relatively new to this forum. When I was younger and a more successful writer (in that I was being published regularly and paid almost as much), I realized that I owed a lot of that success to the AOL Writer's Community. It led to my first steady gig, I met a lot of cool people, and I was even offered to be in the first Chicken Soup for the Soul -- but I had a paper due in high school and I passed on that one. Great call, Patton.

Anyway, I thought perhaps part of what I was missing was that online community of writers. Well, a community of writers in general, but like college for single mothers and troops in Iraq, online seems like the only option. I found this place when I was looking for information about an agency that is local to Pittsburgh, TriadaUS, and found a pretty good forum that went back about 5 years.

This looks familiar to a LOST tv show forum I used to find out spoilers and post from time to time with my rather funny screen name. It was overwhelming, these people would churn out sometimes 4000 word posts. So, when I saw that this forum was similar, I felt a little overwhelmed. If LOST nerds go overboard like that, what was a collection of verbose sesquipedalian writers going to be like.

Well, I found out and I am quite disappointed. You people are supposed to be (and I am aware most of you actually are) writers. If people can sneak five or ten minutes to converse with strangers about a fantasy TV-show (albeit a superiorly awesome fantasy tv-show) and write clever, thoughtful posts, why can't a group of writers? Short, sometimes trite, responses are the majority I have seen. Even the majority of replies I have received to my own posts have been snarky, argumentative, and fairly advice and welcome-free. Of course, I kind of bring out those qualities in most I meet and believe are, on one level or another, full of sh!t. However, the typical welcome message is something along the lines of "Hi!" "Welcome to the tea party!" or "this place is great." Seriously? I was online dating for a piece and read more substantive welcome messages than that. Real questions asked, especially by folks with that condescending "New kid, Be Gentle!" tag are direct to search the internet or look something up in the FAQs rather than give some useful advice. I mean, I value the verbal sparring from the bitchy posters more than that.

I'm gonna stick around (at least until I get banned for being incendiary), just to give this site a fair shot to provide something real other than just a venue for self-marketing in people's signatures (by the way, check out my blog The Last Rube, just click below in my signature!!!!).

Let's hope this generates some kind of reply. Good luck new writers and I am sure that if you are persistent you can find some folks here with good advice who are willing to share it. Try not to be discouraged and to hell with your critics. Never compromise. But, you then you usually stay broke. Write as much as you can, but try to do it for free (or something insulting like $15 for an article) as little as possible.

Maybe I just caught the site on a bad month or something, but I have been severely let down. It has real promise, but sometimes you have spend the time it takes for three Warren Zevon songs to play to write out one's thoughts.

Think of it as good practice. Now come and get me you vicious swine....

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I save my real writing for my real writing, not for online forums where my words will disappear into cyberspace as soon as I've written them.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This is your greeting?

Good luck to you. :)
This is the poster's 14th post and isn't an introduction, so maybe Roundtable would be a better place to discuss feelings of dissatisfaction/disappointment with the board and its membership rather than Newbie Forum.

Sorry I can't be more wordy than this.

-Derek

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may be a swine, but I don't think I'm a vicious swine. ;)

Perhaps you have been hanging out in the wrong (for what you are looking for) parts of AW. There are a number of people here (just mentioning a few: Uncle Jim, HapiSofi, Gillhoughly, Victoria Strauss, Roger Carlson, CaoPaux, Cheshire Cat) who go out of their way to offer info and advice to newbies. And that is newbies to the biz and newbies to this site. Go to the genre specific forums. Go to bewares and background checks. Stay out of office party and tio.

As for snarky replies about doing research: I have been here less than a year, and I get weary of seeing the same questions each and every week, which have already been addressed. And if people would use the search function, they would find the answers.

So, welcome, have a cup of coffee, and try reading the FAQs.

MM

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
did you ever think that the goober who wrote 4,000 words talking about Kate's tee shirts, or how annoying Jack is didn't feel like maybe they'd rather write 4,000 words in their own novel?

I know I don't type a lot or spend a lot of effort in posts on here because if I have time to write 16 pages of bullshit, you better believe that 16 pages of bullshit is going into my fucking novel.

that said, a lot of these boards are advice forums. now i'm new to THIS forum, but i've been on advice forums a lot in the past.

And the 24923942th time, you see new face #2432432342 ask how to get published, or throw up some first draft nonsense with spelling errors, and shit for grammar, you get burned out on it.

"HAI GUYZ HOW LONG SHOOD MY CHAPTURZ BE? ANYONE ASKT THIS B4 <OLLOL."

has to get pretty old.

Hang out, make friends, talk in private, find ppl to read your shit. Or leave.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Well, hello there, Josh.

I've gone back and read the posts in the threads you've posted in at AW to date, which is what? 14? Surely you're not upset because people disagreed with you, are you? Because, if you are, quite frankly that must be a detriment to developing mutually beneficial professional relationships.

The fact of the matter is that no matter where you go, people are going to disagree with you. If you do something like email a busy agency just as a hello while including links to your work and then get miffed because the agent rightfully assumed this was a query and rejected it...then people who are familiar with the industry and how publishing works are going to tell you that you were wrong. So now that your monologue was shut down in the agency's thread on the B&B forum, you're looking to continue the conversation. Since you found out that members can't start threads in TIO, you've started this thread in the newbie forum so that it can be moved to TIO and you can rip Cyia's red comments to your post merrily as you stated you wished to do...

*shakes head*

Welcome to AW. *grin* And good luck.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
welcome josh

oh, and don't forget to check out my blog.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think the term "you people" paints AWers with a broad brush. This is a diverse group of individuals and writers. There's no one-size-fits-all set of attributes by which you can categorize the regular members.

Hang out here if you want. Don't hang out here if it disappoints you.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I feel like a real toolbag now. I had no idea I was such a looser.

and yes, I'm well aware of the proper spelling for loser, thank you.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I think the term "you people" paints AWers with a broad brush. This is a diverse group of individuals and writers. There's no one-size-fits-all set of attributes by which you can categorize the regular members.

Hang out here if you want. Don't hang out here if it disappoints you.

robert-downey-jr-tropic-thunder.jpg

What do YOU mean, you people?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a bad ass writer and am extremely disappointed by how bad you guys suck. Didn't come close to meeting my expectations that i've yet to really define.

Anyways, I'm surprised that so many posts are verbose and not of the quality I would expect from writers. Similarly, the welcome messages are so trite as to be meaningless. Why is it that the welcomes do not contain a concise rendering of the secrets of the universe but instead just say "Welcome to the best online community of writers, hope you stick around," and things of that sort?

But, I'm going to give you guys a little more time to confirm my preconceived notions about how this site is not up to my standards. Similarly, I won't try to understand that this site has things for those of ALL LEVELS from newbie beginners just starting out (and thus prone to all the mistakes I am being critical of) to advanced writers who make five, six and seven figure salaries with their writing.

I'll probably stay clear of the GOALS AND ACCOMPLISHMENT forum that details the struggles, trials, and tribulations of those who have broken through the publishing wall, gotten their first paycheck, book deal, TV or movie deal, etc. etc. all the while crediting AW for their success. Instead, i'll sit back, bask in my superiority, and through omniscient ponderings with fairly little observation, decide that this site is beneath the writing god that I am.

With that being said, I would still like to wish you all greetings. Perhaps the reason you all suck so bad is because I caught you on a bad month and the few posts I've looked at at random do not encompass what this site is really about. Actually, the mistake cannot be on my end since due to my writing prowess, I am incapable of making them.

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi.

Last edited:

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
This is the poster's 14th post and isn't an introduction, so maybe Roundtable would be a better place to discuss feelings of dissatisfaction/disappointment with the board and its membership rather than Newbie Forum.

Sorry I can't be more wordy than this.

-Derek

Thanks for clarifying. I was running though the newbie posts to welcome them and this one stopped me in my tracks.

*skips along*

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
He uses post 14 to call the members here "vicious swine"?

Riiii-iiight. Like he's gonna last another three days. Locking this for blatant stupidity.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hello there, Josh.

I've gone back and read the posts in the threads you've posted in at AW to date, which is what? 14? Surely you're not upset because people disagreed with you, are you? Because, if you are, quite frankly that must be a detriment to developing mutually beneficial professional relationships.

The fact of the matter is that no matter where you go, people are going to disagree with you. If you do something like email a busy agency just as a hello while including links to your work and then get miffed because the agent rightfully assumed this was a query and rejected it...then people who are familiar with the industry and how publishing works are going to tell you that you were wrong. So now that your monologue was shut down in the agency's thread on the B&B forum, you're looking to continue the conversation. Since you found out that members can't start threads in TIO, you've started this thread in the newbie forum so that it can be moved to TIO and you can rip Cyia's red comments to your post merrily as you stated you wished to do...

*shakes head*

Welcome to AW. *grin* And good luck.

First off, I am glad to see that I inspired some discussion. And it makes me smile. I am going to address you first MsCelina.

I am actually rather used to people disagreeing with me. And I don't know what a TIO is, but I do recall the conversation to which you refer. It was actually the first sign to me that something might be rotten in Denmark (or wherever this site is hosted), and it is what spurned my research. I post from time to time, but most of the time I simply read and this is my interpretation of what I read.

I was not miffed that the agency did not read my e-mail, just naive to think that they might. What I objected to was the attitude of the respondents to my post. One poster specifically stated that he or she did not have time to answer some stranger's questions...the irony of being on a forum designed to do just that must have escaped him.

When I started the AOL writer's community was just that. Having been a "professional" factotum at a number of places, I find that yes the same questions from different folks do tend to get annoying. However, this is why they are the important questions. Send someone to read the FAQ, but would it be so terrible to add some of your own thoughts or experiences. Hell, save the post as a text file. This way it can be personal and impersonal at the same time!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Josh, if you call names here again, you're gone.

I don't have time or temper enough to deal with your need for ego-stroking and attention. You just rode into a well-established community of people, some of whom have been here for years, and demanded they drop what they're doing to pay attention to you -- like a three year old in a room full of grownups, shouting "look at me! Watch me do this!"

Grow the fuck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.