Help me classify this story

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm struggling with a story I just wrote. I was trying to write a horror story, because there seems to be tons of places to submit horror short stories, but also because I wanted to 'cross the line' of what normally goes in a thriller and get a little more graphic, a little more primal.

Now that I'm done the story though, aside from one scene in a 4400 word story, I really don't think it's a horror.

Depending on your point of view, its either a paranormal suspense, a psychological thriller, or some kind of horror story. I'm not sure which. How do you figure out where an enigma like this might fit in the publishing world?

Thanks,

EDIT: Oh the story is posted in syw under horror, in case anybody feels especially bored/helpful :)

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on your point of view, its either a paranormal suspense, a psychological thriller, or some kind of horror story.

Psychological thriller = completely realistic. If there are any "ghosts" or "demons", it's due to a psychological condition, such as a hallucination. Usually involves a main character put into an desperate, psychologically trying situation, and trying to get out of it. Like other "thrillers", it involves a race against time and adversary -- in this case, the ticking clock is the protagonist's inner mind: she has to solve the problem before she becomes too insane to get out of it.

Horror = involves truly supernatural events, and the supernatural entity is ALMOST ALWAYS an EVIL that the protagonist will have to fight.

Paranormal suspense = I'm not very sure about this one. I think the difference is that the paranormal entities could be helpful as well as malevolent. Again, I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Well the way my story is constructed, it is vague whether the protagonist is just crazy and perceiving supernatural events or ... are they actually happening to him?

I guess my question boils down to this: Does the antag have to be 'a supernatural entity' to be horror? Was "In the Deathroom" by Stephen King a horror story or a thriller?

Mine has more supernatural (or at least, what might be supernatural) than in the deathroom, but King's story has more of a horror element I'd think.

Hmm... so unsure of what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.