• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency / Literary Management Professionals

emeraldlatina

Registered
Reaction score
This seems like a really good and reliable place to get information and feedback. My mom tells me to just forget about the past, with everything that happened with the Barbara Bauer Agency and focus on the future. With all the complaints I can't believe she's still in business. I guess it's people like me who keep her in business. Well, at least she's got one less client.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
emeraldlatina said:
This seems like a really good and reliable place to get information and feedback. My mom tells me to just forget about the past, with everything that happened with the Barbara Bauer Agency and focus on the future. With all the complaints I can't believe she's still in business. I guess it's people like me who keep her in business. Well, at least she's got one less client.

Your mom is partially right. Try to forget the feeling of failure that she caused by getting your hopes up only to let you languish waiting for news. Try to forget your own self-doubt as you slowly realized the truth of your situation. Try not to dwell on the money that was spent, and all the other things you could have spent it on. These thoughts will only make you miserable and cause you to question your ability as a writer, and they have absolutely nothing to do with that analysis.

Do not forget the way you felt when you wrote your work; the joy of creation is a beautiful thing unto itself, and losing that joy can be more painful than the loss of money.

emeraldlatina

Registered
Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
Your mom is partially right. Try to forget the feeling of failure that she caused by getting your hopes up only to let you languish waiting for news. Try to forget your own self-doubt as you slowly realized the truth of your situation. Try not to dwell on the money that was spent, and all the other things you could have spent it on. These thoughts will only make you miserable and cause you to question your ability as a writer, and they have absolutely nothing to do with that analysis.

Do not forget the way you felt when you wrote your work; the joy of creation is a beautiful thing unto itself, and losing that joy can be more painful than the loss of money.

Thank You for your kind words. You are right!!!!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
With that new website claiming Barbara Bauer to be the #1 literary agency in the world, I think this thread needs bumped.

Barbara Bauer does not sell books to publishing houses.

She charges substantial fees, pockets them, and then lets your MS collect dust.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
emeraldlatina said:
I wonder if Barbara Bauer ever refuses a submission?

I can't see how she possibly could. It would fly in the face of her business practise. She's in the numbers game.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You can distill the whole podcast down to about three sentences:

"See, there's all these blogs where someone is paying 'em to say mean stuff, and Google is making money off that!"
"Well, that's gotta be stopped! It's hurting business! It's a publishing CRISIS! Who polices the Interwebs, anyways?"
"Google has to put a stop to it, that's who!"

:ROFL:

Last edited:

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite parts of that podcast have to be when Barbara reveals that Miss Snark is actually a team of writers (she actually uses the term 'dragoon' of writers) with an agenda -- and the bit where Ms. Bauer puts forth that the Googlebombing had to have been the work of hired professionals.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I note that barbara failed to list any of her credits during this 24 minutes of damage limitation gobsh1te: 'It will have an impact on consumers - it's bad for the economy (yeah, her economic well-being, not those she scams) - ethics and morality (that was the clincher)'.

All she needed do was state something like: 'they're hurting me, a bona-fide agent who has in all my years in this business sold...'

But then i suppose that would have brought this tosh to a grinding halt.

it was like eavesdropping on four old lags planning on how to go about their next hoist after the last job was rumbled.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My fave podcast moment was fee-charger David Hiatt saying that "most" of the agencies on Writer Beware's 20 Worst List had been out of business for 10 or 20 years. Not so. If we'd included Worst Agencies that are out of business, it would have been the 40 Worst List.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"Now they did do a Google-bombing of the Barbara Bauer Literary Agency in May after a popular writers' website was shut down by its service provider and some are saying that that Google-bombing had to have been done by experts who were paid to program and to write that blog."

-- Barbara Bauer, PhD

This Google-bombing was performed by trained professionals. Kids, don't try this at home.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm restraining myself from clicking on that podcast, because I'm afraid I might die laughing trying to listen to it.

P.S. I'm on the first page of Google on a search for "Barbara Bauer, Ph.D." It's my comment at Making Light in which I reproduced (from memory) my post from the Twenty Worst Agents thread. I feel so special.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the link to download the podcast and it's not available!

Maybe a dragoon of meanies liberated it? Poor Bawbwa.....

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
James D. Macdonald said:
"Now they did do a Google-bombing of the Barbara Bauer Literary Agency in May after a popular writers' website was shut down by its service provider and some are saying that that Google-bombing had to have been done by experts who were paid to program and to write that blog."

-- Barbara Bauer, PhD

This Google-bombing was performed by trained professionals. Kids, don't try this at home.

(emphasis above is mine)

Damm1t ... where's my check* for all the links I posted and the Technorati Tag I created??

"Some" are saying, huh. I would bet all the change under the couch cushions their initials are BB...

*I do have a cool tee-shirt, however
:D

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
James D. Macdonald said:

-- Barbara Bauer, PhD

You know, as one of the writers who helped initiate the Googlebomb, I want to know when I'll be getting my paycheck!

And can I put Ms. Bauer down as a reference if I apply for a programming job? :)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
No, I got it fine.

Mighty fine entertainment, let me tell you...

:D

What a crock. Man, if she was in the fertilizer business, she'd be rich. She really should stop trying to be an agent and write a book, 'cause fiction just spews from her brain.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, I totally want all the credit I can get for my little part in that.

Barbara, there's a special circle in hell (that I don't believe in) just for people like you. Really.

I think the only people who listened to the podcast were those of us who downloaded it to laugh at it.

Oh, and Miss Snark also finds it hysterical. :) I sent her the link, just to give her a chuckle.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
All right...

I didn't realize that google was in charge of the Internet.

I'm so out of the loop.

;)

I love it when people that don't have a clue try to explain the problem. :)

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
jchines said:
[/indent]You know, as one of the writers who helped initiate the Googlebomb, I want to know when I'll be getting my paycheck!

And can I put Ms. Bauer down as a reference if I apply for a programming job? :)

:ROFL:

God, this cracked me up...