Bacon - Stupid Question

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They were cooked separately but served together.

NO! No! No! You cook the onion slices first then the bacon. In the same pan, in butter. Remove the bacon when cooked and add the liver, seal, then add stock, herbs and wine. Simmer until the liver is tender then reduce the stock - if necessary - for gravy. Add bacon to the pan to warm if you want the extra flavour or keep the bacon out to keep it crisp. But you must cook the bacon in the same pan for the flavour.

What pdr said.

Gawd, now I'm starving.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
What we got in college didn't have any onion - just the bacon and the liver. Liver and onions (with no bacon) is also fairly common over here. Puma

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What we got in college didn't have any onion - just the bacon and the liver. Liver and onions (with no bacon) is also fairly common over here. Puma

sacrilege.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Monterey Jack, first made around Monterey, California. Monterey Jack by itself is a fairly mild cheese. It's often combined with other cheeses, such as Colby or mixed with peppers to make Pepper Jack.

Now, that does sound nice. Do you mean sweet or bell peppers that we call capsicums? Or hot peppers?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, shame!

You mean you don't make luscious thick onion sauce as you cook your liver and bacon, Puma?

And if you can get farmhouse back bacon, which is thicker and more like gammon, then you keep it in the pan with the liver and the liver melts in the mouth with a lovely bacony flavour.

Yum!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Argggggggggggg. Can't do it... Can't eat the offal meat but I hear it taste wonderful when you can.

My mum use to crumb brains and serve them with bacon, and she told me that it was chicken, which I lovvve, but I couldn't swallow them, they would not go down, no matter how hard I tried. The gooalta, or whatever it is called, won't let me swallow offal meat I have since learnt. Something to do with the taste of it. I can smell bad meat when no one else can, which is slightly differnet, but I can not physically swallow any offal meat, something in my throat, tast or smell, just rejects its, and I cannot swallow it, even when I haven't known what it was. And I mean all offal meat, kidney, liver, tripe, brains ect. Is there more? :Shrug:

I often wonder if it is a bit of gene thing, like they say some taste gratefruit sour and others sweet...I taste grapefruit sweet but my husband thinks they are bitter, and I have heard that scientifically that humans are divided by this grapefruit taste, or something along those lines.

Interestingly my husband can eat brains but not liver or kidneys nor can he eat grapefruit. Grapefruit taste too bitter to him.

My mum can eat brains, liver, but not kidneys. Grapefruit also taste bitter too her.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
How do you do on chicken gizzards and hearts, Cooee?

I think a lot of our tastes have to do with what we were given as children and how they were presented to us the first time. I was really careful with our daughter, trying not to influence her food tastes with my preferences when she was little, and I think I was pretty successful. She loves tomatoes and I can't get near them. I also managed with my husband who'd never heard of eating cow tongue - now it's one of his favorites. I always pickle it. Can't get him to try pickled pigs feet or souse though. Puma

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nope, I can't eat any offal meat what so ever, and yes, it was served to me when young, and I would heave. It just wouldn't go down my throat, and I didn't know what it was being served to me...liver looks like steak, which I love, and my mum use to cook it with onions and couldn't understand why I would'nt eat it, but as good as it looked, I could not physically swallow it, no matter how hard I tried. It use to make me want to vomit, I would heave, and I never new what it was.

I was being serious about the grapefruit thing, I have heard, but can't recall where or why I even went there, but that humans are divided scientifically with this grapefruit taste. I think I read it in a magazine a few years back. Not sure if it has anything to do with offal meat, but most certainly I read that humans either taste grapefruit as bitter or sweet and that scientifically, it is one way human are divided from the others, which I found very interesting.

My grandmother was brought up of offal meat and always said she couldn't eat it, and when she made kidney soup, she would strain out the kidney but would keep the flavour. I could eat the kidney soup when it was just soup with no kidney, but if I got a fleck of that flesh, nope it would make me heave. I couldn't physically swallow it, no matter how hard I tried, which I did because I couldn't get sweets unless I did, and nope still couldn't swallow it.

The only way I can think of the way it is for those who can't eat offal meat, is that if you had smelt bad meat, milk, or a bad egg, that is what I taste and smell. It is horrid to me, and it has been as a very little one, when I did not know what it was.

This makes me curious how many people like offal meat, that like grapefruit?....I gather many, because the study I read never mentioned offal meat.

Netherless, I find it interesting that the taste of grapefruit would be such that it has been given or proven that clearly that half the people taste it one way and the other another.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Interesting about your daughter and tomatoes puma, because although I love them, my daugher won't touch fresh tomaotes but loves tomato sauce.