Querying US Agents from the UK

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting way ahead of myself here - my MS is still very much a WiP. Still, thought I'd put this question out there anyway. Sorry if it's been asked before.

I'm UK-based but have always intended to try the US-based agents when I start querying. Obviously email makes that relatively easy in some cases but I know that certain agents still prefer the snail-mail approach.

My WiP is set in the US and Canada and, as far as possible, I've tried to use US terminology and spelling (although I bet when I go back and edit I'll have a big job making it all sound 'proper').

Anyway, my question is really twofold. 1. Is this something that is generally considered an acceptable thing to do and 2. What are the practicalities involved? For point 2 I'm thinking about providing SAE for replies - how do you get hold of US postage stamps, that kind of thing.

I'd really appreciate hearing what people have to say about this.

Thanks All!

Silent

spiros

Registered
Reaction score
1 - Sure it's acceptable. I managed to **speak** to an real live agent about this once and she said agents take on "foreign-based" writers all the time. Many writers live far, far away from New York or London. In the end, if your manuscript is really good, they'll get in touch with you.

2 - I live and write in Greece and have queried both UK and US agents in the past, with snail mail, without SASEs because the post office here has no idea about these things. So I often don't get any replies at all, for rejections. Again, I was told that if an agent wants to consider representing you, they'll get in touch via email or maybe even phone.

I would just check the agent sites, to see if they accept overseas inquiries. I've seen agents in the UK that specifically state "only UK-based authors please." I guess there are some US agents with the same limitation. Always check these things before sending anything, even via e-mail.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
What I did was look at publishers in Canada. I found one that was requesting submissions by email at the time. It was a traditional publisher so I sent my submission and was eventually accepted.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I sent loads of queries to US agents before I landed my UK agent. Got a decent share of full manuscript requests and I know a number of UK authors who have US agents.
As for the stamps - many US agents will reply by e-mail, some only if they're interested. For the remainder (which still includes some good agents) you'll need 94c stamps. Trade with a US writer on here or beg someone to send stamps.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, many thanks for the info. It's good to get a feel for how things work.

Silent

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
This thread answered my neurotic questions. Thanks, everyone!

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Just want to add: you can order US postage from the US Post Office website.

(And I'm a US citizen resident in the UK. I got my US agent (and US book deal) querying from here.)

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Emily. I think I'm going down the 'stamp swapping' route but this is useful to know for the future.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Just want to add: you can order US postage from the US Post Office website.

(And I'm a US citizen resident in the UK. I got my US agent (and US book deal) querying from here.)

Can you still?
I'd heard that they required a US address to post the stamps to

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
They have the A-Team in the UK?

How about the Greatest Children's Book Ever Written:

"They all drink lemonade. . .

THE END."

(We get Black Books here. :) )