How does one draw strangers to one's weblog?

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently started a blog on blogspot and I can't even find it on Google. How do I make my weblog more accessible?

Thanks in advance,

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Have you submitted it to Google? It will find your blog eventually but that will speed it up. It can take up to one month to be indexed.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure. I used blogspot and I signed up for Google AdSense, but I feel dirty doing so.

It hasn't been online for a month yet. Is there some special procedure? I am on Blogspot, I thought it and Google were having one big money orgy?

Thanks!

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Google is a search engine and web crawler. Just because it partners with someone doesn't mean it gives their sites priority in crawling. It can typically take up to several months before google finds your site.

Also, google orders priority based on how many other sites link to your blog. So if there are places to submit your blog or rss feed, every single site that links to you will make your site more "credible" in google's eyes.

That said, this question is highly out of place on this forum, as its related to web crawling, and not writing or blogging in any fashion.

Deleted member 42

If you want comments, it helps to write well, and have something interesting and intelligent to say. It also helps if you have a close and affectionate relationship with syntax.

Google ranking takes time. If you are blogging for dollars, I suggest you stop thinking in terms of generating income.

Write because you have something to learn or something to say or something about both appeals to you.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
If you want comments, it helps to write well, and have something interesting and intelligent to say. It also helps if you have a close and affectionate relationship with syntax.

Google ranking takes time. If you are blogging for dollars, I suggest you stop thinking in terms of generating income.

Write because you have something to learn or something to say or something about both appeals to you.

I have no idea what I would possibly have to blog about that ANYONE would care about.

Writing perfectly with immaculate prose is pointless if I have nothing to say that 150,000 other idiots haven't already blogged about.

Deleted member 42

I have no idea what I would possibly have to blog about that ANYONE would care about.

Writing perfectly with immaculate prose is pointless if I have nothing to say that 150,000 other idiots haven't already blogged about.

Well, no, not necessarily. You don't have to have the entire world's attention, right? Just the people who are interested in your post--and honestly, one of the hardest things for me, in blogging, is shaping a post so that it's a conversation, so readers will take over in the comments thread. I look at blogs like Making Light, and yes, the comments are even better than the posts. It's not an easy thing to do, and I very much appreciate those who can form community like that, who get that blogging is (or should be) a conversation.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no, not necessarily. You don't have to have the entire world's attention, right? Just the people who are interested in your post--and honestly, one of the hardest things for me, in blogging, is shaping a post so that it's a conversation, so readers will take over in the comments thread. I look at blogs like Making Light, and yes, the comments are even better than the posts. It's not an easy thing to do, and I very much appreciate those who can form community like that, who get that blogging is (or should be) a conversation.

I guess where I'm coming from is, I just don't even know what I would blog about. Certainly talking about anything going on currently in the news is pointless. There are a million college students with nothing but time ready to churn out insightful and completely uninformed views on topics ranging from Michael Jackson to Sotomeyer.

What else would I write about, my cooking? "I spent 2 hours making mashed potatoes last night, how'd you spend your sunday?"

I think 99% blogs are 100% useless. Maybe I just haven't found the right one :)

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I started a blog just so I could post the various non-fiction work that I can put on the internet (desperate times call for selling all rights sometimes). I have never really heard that blogging should be a "conversation." Most of the blogs I have read are those say on the Daily Beast which are really just column-length essays. Other than like the blogs that post pictures of celebrities' undergarments (or lack thereof) and gossip.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score

I would have to say absolutely not. Feelings about weblogs notwithstanding, just the fact that you write about something -- e.g. Michael Jackson, Politics, your herb garden -- you will infuse it with the part of you that makes what you write more than just words on a page. Some folks have it, some do not, but the only way to find it is to write and look for it.

I was writing for a site called 20dc.com for a while. They had us on there to provide content and to comment on others' posts, and the whole notion behind the site is that they can have one topic, say "healthcare reform" and have people offer up their opinions.

You are a writer because you have something to say. Your voice is your own. I'll admit, if you were to write about the Michael Jackson funeral, it really could get lost in the "crowd" a little more easily than a piece on something that is not written about extensively, but that does not necessarily make it not worth writing about.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
What else would I write about, my cooking? "I spent 2 hours making mashed potatoes last night, how'd you spend your sunday?"

I think 99% blogs are 100% useless. Maybe I just haven't found the right one :)

*shrug* one of my blogs is just a day to day account of things I see (and find amusing) in my community. It gets about 2,000 hits a month. It's completely frivolous but people seem to love it. It may not be useful, but it seems to make people's days just a little bit brighter.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
*shrug* one of my blogs is just a day to day account of things I see (and find amusing) in my community. It gets about 2,000 hits a month. It's completely frivolous but people seem to love it. It may not be useful, but it seems to make people's days just a little bit brighter.
Thats great!

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I am not sure. I used blogspot and I signed up for Google AdSense, but I feel dirty doing so.

It hasn't been online for a month yet. Is there some special procedure? I am on Blogspot, I thought it and Google were having one big money orgy?

Thanks!

Why did you feel dirty doing so?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Lucid, that might work, but I hear your photos are easily available on Google Images anyway. So no need to hide them on your blog.

*nods sagely*

;)

Insert obligatory: Those are months old. I've totally been working out and I've lost weight since then.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you don't have a topic you want to blog about, I have to ask: why blog? there are easier way to make money and/or waste time...

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Razi - Tongue-in-cheek though it may be, sarcasm sometimes hides deeper truth. I signed up because I wanted to make somewhere between ten cents and a billion dollars from folks who click ads on webpages. Still, if I were to write about going to school online at UOP while in Iraq, Ad Sense would probably put up an ad for them or some other similarly corrupt school. It just sort of pisses off my higher moral sensibility, but then my broke stomach growls out its complaints and it is a short argument....

Veinglory -- I set up a blog because I have been writing non-fiction for sometime. Including blogging for a political website during the primary elections. Sometimes I will write timely pieces that I can't sell and thought a blog would be a nice place to do so. I am approaching this weblog like I do my writing. It often evolves as I go. Perhaps my blogs may have an overall arc or they may just remain a hodge-podge of collection of things that I write that I want people to read.

The making money part is just a nice sidebar. In my past, I often overlooked small things that can increase revenues. The main point of the blog is just a place for me to put the things I write.

Rez78

new media nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zerotorockstar.com
I recently started a blog on blogspot and I can't even find it on Google. How do I make my weblog more accessible?

Thanks in advance,

What phrase do you use to search for it in google?
This is where SEO comes into play. If you want it to show up for specific searches you have to work on your keywords/tags/phrase.

If you just want your site to be "sticky" as in: will people come back to it later on?, it may be a little challenging since this specific blog you have is pretty much mostly for you (not that it's a bad thing).

Most medium - high traffic blogs has something of value (or perceived value) that people get out of it which then makes them visit the site repeatedly.

Anyway, not to bore you with that. You should promote your blog anytime you get a chance (in a tasteful non-annoying manner of course), comment on other blogs you're interested in (well thought out comments), do a guest post, join communities. Just a few suggestions.

As long as you don't become one of those guys who constantly talks about me, me , me. Try to engage people with your content.

Hope that sort of helps. Feel free to PM me if you need more info

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Regardless of the phrase used this blog has no Google rank, it has not been indexed by Google. The quickest way to be indexed is to go to Google.com and submit the site. Then the rank with go from N/A to 0 at the next ranking (occurs approximately monthly). Then you can build rank by attracting incoming links. No point getting all SEO when you haven't even got in the game yet.

Blogs are great for using out of print or otherwise surplus material. But when traffic is low I would suggest using something like project wonderful to monetise, not adsense.

p.s. you need to fix your banner so it fits in the template box.

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
justthebabysitter.blogspot.com

Yep, me too. I blog about daycare from the daycare provider point of view. Not exactly super exciting stuff. I've been up and running since the last week in April and I have had 29,000 page views and 12,000 visitors so far.

Are there any forums on your niche? If so, register and become a member on those forums, post often and place your blog address in your siggie. You will then be targeting your niche audience.