A small yippee...

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An agent from a solid NY literary agency asked me today to please send her "any children's book manuscripts" I might have. (She apparently liked my story-poem pubbed this month.) That's the good news. The bad news is that I do not have any children's book manuscripts, and haven't the foggiest notion about how to write them. But I went to the library today, and sat at some very small tables and am now taking a crash course in picture books. Came home with about 10 today, just to get an idea about length and style, etc.

Oh, okay. I confess...I also brought them home because I absolutely adore Jack Prelutsky's writing (our nation's first Children's Poet Laureate--2006). :D

(Are there any AW poets who've done this sort of thing?)

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz...a small one.

That might be a door being opened for you that will surprise you.

Much success with this.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wendy and Ambrosia. :) I do have an idea for one that is taking hold, and I'm thinking it'll help to have had 8 years experience teaching elementary school kids...I can still get in their heads, so to speak.

Going to go over to the Writing for Kids forum to see how one goes about formatting a picture book manuscript (one sheet of paper for every two lines??)...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Pat. You probably know these already, but if you want to see a couple of brilliant children's poets, have a look at Jez Albrough (Duck in the Truck) and Julia Donaldson (The Gruffalo).

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mike and Priene, thanks! Priene, I'd not heard of them, so will look them up; thanks for the suggestion. Apart from writing some children's poetry, I'm really not very familiar with it at all beyond the older standard names--Shel Silverstein, Seuss, etc. (In fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Children's Poet Laureate until yesterday.)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Wow, Pat, that's great news.

If you can't think of something, I'll pay you 50 bucks to pitch my father-daughter book to them. ;)

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Pat. That's great news to hear.

Good luck with the children's picture book...I'm sure you'll do fine.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Pat, that's great news.

If you can't think of something, I'll pay you 50 bucks to pitch my father-daughter book to them. ;)

Lol! :D. NDG, I seriously can't believe that hasn't been snapped up, yet. (And yet, in a way, I can. Seems the only way rhyming poetry is acceptable nowadays is if it's "light verse.") But that's a crying shame--personally, I think the cleverness of well-done rhyme just adds punch to whatever the message is. Your book should be read and enjoyed by dads (parents) across this planet.

AnonymousWriter--thank you for your encouragement. :)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Pat!!! I love Jack too. Hope you can crank one out quickly and may I suggest you consider the popularity of "If you give a mouse a cookie"? Also note that when I looked for picture books for my car-crazed toddler, (his favorite bookstore section was "Transportation") there weren't enuf. (Pre-"Cars"). Maybe something along the lines of a baby Space Shuttle? Of course, you may be going in a completely different direction, so my suggestions are only meant in the most "helpful" sense. Good Luck!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Magdalen, thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions! This is opening up a whole new field of concentration for me, and I appreciate all the suggestions. Even the 'pre-school' ones, as Highlights has encouraged me to send them poems for their 'High-Five' magazine (ages 3-5) as well. I remember my own son's fascination with cars, trucks, back hoes, etc., so that's an excellent suggestion. I'll work on that idea for sure. When I taught elementary, it was the upper grades, so that is what my writing tends to naturally gear itself to...but I think it'd be fun to vary my target audience, too.

ETA: loved the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book--and its cousin, If You Give a Moose A Muffin! Off-topic: my creative youngest sister has just launched an entrepreneurial cookie-baking venture named "If You Give A Mouth A Cookie." (She is the one who got all the "love-to-cook" genes in the family.)

Last edited:

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Pat.

Wasn't Alan Ginsburg a small YIPPEE?

Is anyone here old enough to know what I'm talking about or have I just really dated myself?

Richard

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D (yes, I'm old enough).

Thanks Seaclusion, and Callalily for the encouragement.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Pat :) What a wonderful chance (and compliment). Happy writing!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ken and Jenny!