The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Electric Forest Publishing, LLC / Raven's Wing Books / DarkHart Press

  1. #1
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154

    Electric Forest Publishing, LLC / Raven's Wing Books / DarkHart Press

    Anyone have facts about Raven's Wings book publishers? Website looks impressive....
    Grateful to know,
    Writer Friend

  2. #2
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    Link: http://www.ravenswingbooks.com/

    Editor seems to have good experience, the woman who owns the company however doesn't. Don't pay advances, don't say how much royalties they pay or whether it's on net or not. Currently not open to subissions. Latest book release is slated to be released October 31st, ARCs are avaliabe on request for reviewers in August. Isn't that a little rushed to get reviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression reviews are handled earlier than two months before the release. Not sure how long they've been in operation.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  3. #3
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Link: http://www.ravenswingbooks.com/

    Editor seems to have good experience, the woman who owns the company however doesn't. Don't pay advances, don't say how much royalties they pay or whether it's on net or not. Currently not open to subissions. Latest book release is slated to be released October 31st, ARCs are avaliabe on request for reviewers in August. Isn't that a little rushed to get reviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression reviews are handled earlier than two months before the release. Not sure how long they've been in operation.
    [B]Thank you for your kind reply.
    I think the website offers other services, editing, etc, so I wonder if an author pays for extra services or not. The website seems upfront. I think it is increasingly hard for authors to get published the traditional way, so I can understand going with them. And they say they get the books out to Barnes and Noble websites, etc. so people can order them.

    Writer Friend

  4. #4
    Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Posts
    7,511
    writer friend, I am published by RWB and by DarkHart, both under Electric Forest. Site is: Electric Forest Publishing LLC.

    One of her DarkHart authors won a 1st at the Stoker Awards for THE GENTLING BOX. Publisher is a delight to work with.

    Publisher is starting her 4th year in the business. Some authors receive advances, others do not. Royalties are consistent by contract. ROCAMORA is her first hard cover.

    If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

    Publisher created my covers, web site, and video.





    "Chronology is not destiny"
    Donald Michael Platt

    "If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
    Donald Michael Platt

    www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

  5. #5
    Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Posts
    7,511
    One more thing. I did not pay for any services -- editing, cover, costs of printing and PR, etc. RWB and DarkHart are NOT vanity/self publishing.





    "Chronology is not destiny"
    Donald Michael Platt

    "If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
    Donald Michael Platt

    www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

  6. #6
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    Adding link for parent company, Electric Forest: http://www.electricforest.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  7. #7
    aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by writer friend View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply.
    I think the website offers other services, editing, etc, so I wonder if an author pays for extra services or not. The website seems upfront. I think it is increasingly hard for authors to get published the traditional way, so I can understand going with them. And they say they get the books out to Barnes and Noble websites, etc. so people can order them.

    Writer Friend
    If they offer other services, that is a HUGE red flag. You want a publisher who publishes. You want an agent who agents. A publisher or agent who does something other than publishing or agenting respectively is nothing but bad signs. It's a possible indication they can't make their income purely from publishing/agenting for any number of reasons, and if they're trying to sell you their services they have very little incentive to actually sell your work. True it may have gotten a little difficult with this economy, but that's still no reason to settle. And being on a website doesn't mean anything if there's no promotion - you want to be on those shelves, not just the website. No one's going to go searching the Barnes & Noble website for your book if they don't know your book exists.

    Donroc, can you explain why some authors get advances and some don't? That seems rather inconsistant, especially since the website specifically states there are no advances.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

  8. #8
    What happened? ChristineR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    Posts
    1,308
    From the Electric Forest site:

    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Forest
    or authors interested in our tailored publishing services, please contact us directly to discuss your project and to receive a quoted fee. We do private consults on books in the US and the UK.
    It doesn't say what imprint these books appear under, though. In theory, there's nothing wrong with doing both commercial and fee publishing, but it's not a good sign--it's a conflict of interest.

  9. #9
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    From the Electric Forest site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Forest
    or authors interested in our tailored publishing services, please contact us directly to discuss your project and to receive a quoted fee. We do private consults on books in the US and the UK.
    It doesn't say what imprint these books appear under, though. In theory, there's nothing wrong with doing both commercial and fee publishing, but it's not a good sign--it's a conflict of interest.
    That's "The Derwent Press" imprint: http://www.derwentpress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  10. #10
    Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Posts
    7,511
    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    Donroc, can you explain why some authors get advances and some don't? That seems rather inconsistant, especially since the website specifically states there are no advances.
    I cannot explain anything about other authors. I asked for advances and a hard cover for my historical novel. Perhaps some do not negotiate. I can appreciate the skepticism above, but I have had an excellent relationship with the publisher, who is accessable anytime I email her or phone.





    "Chronology is not destiny"
    Donald Michael Platt

    "If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
    Donald Michael Platt

    www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

  11. #11
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by donroc View Post
    writer friend, I am published by RWB and by DarkHart, both under Electric Forest. Site is: Electric Forest Publishing LLC.

    One of her DarkHart authors won a 1st at the Stoker Awards for THE GENTLING BOX. Publisher is a delight to work with.

    Publisher is starting her 4th year in the business. Some authors receive advances, others do not. Royalties are consistent by contract. ROCAMORA is her first hard cover.

    If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

    Publisher created my covers, web site, and video.
    Thank you Donroc,
    I'm sorry I just caught your info from your other posting. Your book, cover and video, as well as the website, are very impressive indeed.
    Thank you very much for your replies. I'm a newbie at all this, and I really appreciate your information and this forum.
    I look forward to reading your works.
    Very best wishes!
    Writer Friend

  12. #12
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154

    Hi, Donroc,
    I want to thank you for this information, which is very helpful. It's a big world out there in publishing and this forum helps to clarify so much.
    Again, I look forward to reading your works and send you my very best wishes. I'm especially thankful, as a person just gaining some experience in writing.
    You're very generous to share your wisdom.
    Best wishes,
    Writer Friend

  13. #13
    writer/teacher JL_Benet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    206

    [Publisher] DarkHart Press

    Any info about DarkHart Press?
    http://www.darkhart.com/
    http://www.darkhart.com/index.php?op...id=8&Itemid=30
    P&E lists them as "Not Recommended." Why?

  14. #14
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    I expect because of conflicts of interest re: paid services and vanity imprint.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  15. #15
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    As of June '11, all are now imprints of Briona Glen (AW thread here).

    ETA: That is, Raven's Wing Books, DarkHart Press, and "Electric Forest Press" as a SF/F imprint. Doesn't look like The Derwent Press was part of the deal, but it hasn't published anything since '10.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-03-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  16. #16
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    Now imprints of Grey Gate Media (http://greygatemedia.com/), which took over Briona Glen in Jan '13.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  17. #17
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,061
    But did not survive '14.

    Grey Gate Media is no longer in business. We may relaunch another venture here in 2015.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search