Wait time for publisher reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
For published authors who were represented by agents, about how long was the waiting period between when your agent started submitting and when you heard anything back from publishers at all, negative or positive?

My agent just started submitting a few days ago and I know it will be a while, but I need to fuel my obsession.

Thanks!

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
One person I know had editor interest within three days, and the book went to auction. Someone else I know had their book go through several rounds of submissions over a few months before an editor bit. I have no idea about negative responses. It all depends on so many things and no agent will be able to give you an estimation.

I can only imagine how tough the waiting is, though! :/

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What's been said.

I have an agent. It took her 9 months to get my publisher to move on a finished, ready to go book.

In another case, she sold a proposal within days.

Don't let your head explode during the wait. Be writing the next two books. If you sell, they're going to want more from you ASAP.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
From pitch, it was about three to four weeks before responses started coming in. The first few were rejections, but then we got two offers within two days. In total, it was about five weeks from pitch to auction.

But from stories I've seen, my experience was on the fast end of the spectrum.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
From pitch, it was about three to four weeks before responses started coming in. The first few were rejections, but then we got two offers within two days. In total, it was about five weeks from pitch to auction.

But from stories I've seen, my experience was on the fast end of the spectrum.

Thanks so much for the responses!
It's good to know that it's still possible to find a publisher after 9 months and that an agent will stick with a client that long.

My agent and I just agreed on a don't-ask-don't-tell policy. I decided I need only know what's going on if the book doesn't sell or if he is getting feedback from editors that indicates a problem with the book. So he'll update me quarterly if nothing critical happens. If it doesn't sell, then I can look back at who rejected me and why.

So, on to the nonfiction book and the next novel!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
It's good to know that it's still possible to find a publisher after 9 months and that an agent will stick with a client that long.

Um, well, that was strange, in that I've had the agent for 11 years now and sold 14 other books to that publisher. All I can think is the editor had it sitting on her desk for months and finally got around to it.

And then they offered me only half of my usual advance. Times being tight, I took it. Midlisters don't have much choice these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.