AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a toothache.

practical experience, FTW
    Ok great thread ..... I can do the caffeine with pleasure And I will get some Advil caps tomorrow.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I was searching up toothache remedies ( i know i have probably read most of the effective ones ) but even searching helps distract me a little. I have been in pain for two day now. I have broken bones and had to move them back to position, i have been stabbed through the shoulder. Nothing . Nothing compared to this .I have had this pain once before and for myself personally i tend to appreciate life much more when i get better. I also feel like a man having survived it. Afterwards I kinda look at the life situations like oh you want to hit me in the me in the face with a baseball bat ? Kick me in the gonads ? Go ahead mate i will still smile, i have had worse.

I just sometimes think like surely there is a point where your mind says ok enough is enough , i have alerted you to the problem , you havent done anything , this is causing pointless trauma, lets reboot.

Psst! Gimli! This thread is from 2009. I imagine the original toothache has been dealt with by now. Sorry to hear about yours. Are you able to seek dental care, or purchase oil of cloves?
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Yes i know its old. Do you remember what a cellphone looked like a decade ago? Just intrigued by that fact that a decade later we still sit with the same problems in certain areas. ) i smell money making schemes )

Tried, clove , garlic , salt i even went as far as soaking it in cough mixture hahaha. Needless to say this morning my gums were not too happy with my attempts at self healing. I went and bought some heavy antibiotics today amoxy and metranidazole , and then for pain brufen and paracetamol . The pain is significantly less. The metra is making me feel a bit sickish but i will take that compared to the pain any day.

The ice cube between the thumb and pointing finger works every-time , its astounding. Its amazing what medical information gets passed on when its not with the intention of being profitable. I am not sure who found out about the nerves my best guess would be the Chinese. However i just cant sit with ice cubes in my hand all day also knowing that the infection is still doing its thing.

Its my first day on the meds , logic dictates that the second day should be better right ? And on the sixth day i will be at the dentist to remove this piece of ....... tooth. I will likely take it home and burn it .
    Last edited by gimli; 11-16-2017 at 01:31 AM.

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Oh jeez gimli. That sounds painful. It also sounds rough.

Hang in there!
    Vivere militare est.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    And I want to die. That is all.
    Hot compresses on the swelling or gum area will draw the infection out.
    The only thing you can't fix is a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

Let's hope Vince's toothache got better ABOUT EIGHT YEARS AGO

Were those antibiotics prescribed or did you just get them over the counter?

How would you get antibiotics over the counter? Probiotics, but not antibiotics (at least not in the US).

You can't buy them over the counter in Australia either, thank goodness. But Gimli's not in the US or Australia.

Ah. I overlooked the location tag!

Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
    Ah. I overlooked the location tag!
    easily done!

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    Yes i know its old. Do you remember what a cellphone looked like a decade ago? Just intrigued by that fact that a decade later we still sit with the same problems in certain areas. ) i smell money making schemes )

Tried, clove , garlic , salt i even went as far as soaking it in cough mixture hahaha. Needless to say this morning my gums were not too happy with my attempts at self healing. I went and bought some heavy antibiotics today amoxy and metranidazole , and then for pain brufen and paracetamol . The pain is significantly less. The metra is making me feel a bit sickish but i will take that compared to the pain any day.

The ice cube between the thumb and pointing finger works every-time , its astounding. Its amazing what medical information gets passed on when its not with the intention of being profitable. I am not sure who found out about the nerves my best guess would be the Chinese. However i just cant sit with ice cubes in my hand all day also knowing that the infection is still doing its thing.

Its my first day on the meds , logic dictates that the second day should be better right ? And on the sixth day i will be at the dentist to remove this piece of ....... tooth. I will likely take it home and burn it .
    Consider this concern rather than medical advice: You cannot heal a tooth abscess without addressing the underlying problem. The problem will just recur. I am glad you have a dental appointment.

And amoxicillin might be an antibiotic a dentist might choose but I don't think metranidazole is doing you any favors.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 11-16-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Still chasing plot bunnies. GailD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    You can't buy them over the counter in Australia either, thank goodness. But Gimli's not in the US or Australia.
    You can't buy antibiotics over the counter here in South Africa, either. They have to be properly prescribed by a physician. Also, anything containing codeine is strictly controlled too, as well as pain meds that are Schedule 1 and above.
    New blog post Elephant dung and the art of critique. (June 15, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
    i've adored you from a distance for years, gail.
    www.bullyproofbook.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by GailD View Post
    You can't buy antibiotics over the counter here in South Africa, either. They have to be properly prescribed by a physician. Also, anything containing codeine is strictly controlled too, as well as pain meds that are Schedule 1 and above.
    Thanks for that info, Gail!

Antibiotics are commonly sold over the counter in India and some Middle Eastern countries (and it's probably not coincidental that some of the most exciting new pan-resistant bugs are coming out of those places). Do check with your dentist or GP whether you should be on them. They're reasonable for an abscess, if that's what you've got, but they won't cure it, and the definitive treatment is dentistry. They won't do much if you don't have an infection. Absolutely none of this should be construed in any way, shape or form as medical advice.
    Last edited by Albedo; 11-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12