What does one wear to a writers' conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I'm going to my first writers' conference soon (regional SCBWI). What does one wear? Business? Business casual? Jeans? Shorts and flip flops? (You seriously do NOT want to see me in a bathing suit.)

I'm guessing business casual, but I've been known to be wrong about such things...

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
But what if what makes her feel comfy and confident is a Grateful Dead t-shirt, never washed because it was touched by Jerry Garcia himself, a pair of acid washed jeans that were the best bargain EVAH, her pink scrunchie from 1987 that she thinks is lucky, and a pair of white lace ankle booties that she's confident she can bring back into style?

What then? ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote business casual--although the balaclava might be memorable.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lucite heels, sheer blouse, leather pants and duster, topped off with a fedora, natch. Ya gotta stand out!

:D

Seriously, business casual seems to be a safe choice. Nice jeans, a blouse, flats, that sort of thing.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People wear all sorts of things to SCBWI events. I went to an Editor's Day recently and there were lots of people in jeans. However, the editors and agents always seem to be dressed in business casual clothes, so I'd say that's your best bet. FWIW, I wore a casual skirt, top, and flats.

:)Smish

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All writers must wear a Marvelous Hat.

Tanya Egan Gibson

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever the equivalent of "business casual" is that still makes you feel like yourself. That is, if you're not an "office-y" person (I'm not), you shouldn't feel like you need to look overly conservative.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wear clean and pressed comfortable clothes. Business casual to a man means sportcoat and tie in many circles, and that is probably overkill, unless those are one's comfort clothes. Business casual is a little easier for women because it can inlcude a great variety of outfits. If one is meeting with editors and agents, they are going to have glazed-over eyes from being in the pitchpit, so the only thing that will elevate you from drone status is what you say in your pitch. These people are going to be interested in your brain, not your body (regardless of what you hang on it).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
For me, I'd wear polo shirts and khakis or maybe dress pants for the day. Or button-down shirt with a sport coat and jeans.

For nighttime stuff (special speaker dinners, etc.) probably a bit more dressy, but not too much.

If meeting editors or agents, probably more on the business than the casual side.

Still, try to be yourself and have your own "unique" style if you must. We're artists, after all.

srjohannes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.faerilaity.blogspot.com
I am the geeky marketing person so I say what image are you trying to portray? Techincally this is part of your personal author brand.

For example - meg cabot writes chick it for tween/tweens - she is usually dressed in dresses, skirts, hip clothes.

Whatever you feel comfortable in but I definately would be sure it is polished. You never know who you will meet :)

sometimes conferences are a bit chilly - so take a sweater :)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I always agonise over this, too - because you do never know who you will meet, and you want to make a good impression!

Business casual sounds like a sensible suggestion to me. Comfort is also important, though. You often spend a lot of time sitting around listening to people talk, and you don't want to be fidgeting because your waistband's digging in, or whatever.

I usually also take a nice dress to wear to dinner in the evening, where things are often slightly more formal.

Shara

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
All I know is that the first time I went to WorldCon, I loaded up on business casual. This was fun because everyone assumed I was an editor or agent and kept following me around with MSS and wistful eyes. All the writers and fans were in shorts and T-shirts. Okay, so Neil Gaiman dressed up a little to MC the Hugo Awards, but other than that...

I imagine the SF/F community is one of the least dressy. For the SCBWI crowd, I'd go more with dressy casual than business casual, unless you're having an appointment with an agent or editor, in which case you might bump it up a notch. If they give a dance or formal dinner at night, then pack along a nice dress or suit. Of course if they have a cosplaying event, go nuts.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I really like strech twill and other strech cotton materials. I would also bring a light sweater or jacket in case the air conditioning is turned up high. I hate being cold.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I would also bring a light sweater or jacket in case the air conditioning is turned up high. I hate being cold.

YES! Sometimes those conferences centers are icy.

And yeah, I vote for nice jeans or khakis, and a nice blouse or polo shirt. Comfortable shoes that fit the outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.