• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WolfSinger Publications

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Update with my "WolfSinger" experience. Bottom line: it's been a learning experience, which is a good thing. If I hadn't been pushed, I'd never have ventured forth.

I've found that Ms Hightshoe responses quickly when you make a specific request. Example: She provided me with a PDF file to give book reviewers. Of course, I had to learn where and how to submit requests for book reviews. I'm at a disadvantage because my story is a novelette rather than a full fledged novella.

The book is available at Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. My next step is to learn specifics about promoting at the individual "distributors".

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Grump; it's more like your publisher will have to qualify to garner true distributorship--they won't have to promote for it, but fill out an extensive survey/application and marketing plan, submit titles and sales information and many other things. Keep in mind, that's for trade books. E-books are handled both by the publisher and the author, as far as promo and marketing, and the majority of that is done online.

Tri

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Any news on this publisher since 2012?

They have some calls for anthologies that are either currently open to submission or will open up in the upcoming few months, including one that I feel fits a short of mine pretty well if I can get rid of about 800 words.

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
I had a story in Rhonda Parrish's anthology "Metastasis" which was published by Wolfsinger. I opted for my royalties to go to cancer research (it was a fundraiser) and Carol sent me a completely unexpected $10 above agreed royalties because "she wants all her authors to get something." Some of the publication details were a little random in a small-business-run-by-real-people sort of way, but I had a very good feeling about working with her.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I haven't worked with them in a few years, but probably would again. Partly because Rhonda Parrish (Niteblade) was recently involved with Wolfsinger. I trust her judgment with her business partners.
But also because Carol (Wolfsinger) was good to work with originally. I'm not surprised that Robert got a bonus payment. She seems to treat her writers well.

That said, I haven't made much money off my sale there. But I didn't really intend to. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't worked with them in a few years, but probably would again. Partly because Rhonda Parrish (Niteblade) was recently involved with Wolfsinger. I trust her judgment with her business partners.
But also because Carol (Wolfsinger) was good to work with originally. I'm not surprised that Robert got a bonus payment. She seems to treat her writers well.

That said, I haven't made much money of my sale there. But I didn't really intend to. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are. :Shrug:
Glad to hear that they were good to work with. =)

As to my expectations--if I can get my short story down to the word range they're looking for on that anthology and if I'd actually be picked for it--well, I don't have particularly many expectations on the money front. Getting a single short in an anthology rarely equals "lots and lots of money" anyway, from what little I know of it (well, unless that anthology has some Big Names in it as well, I guess)

Most of my expectations are more in regards to how they are to work with (good, from what you both say) and whether there are nasty surprises hidden in their contracts (which, from the responses so far, doesn't look to be the case).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this because I saw it come up in a Facebook group. It seems that their terms have changed.

While we are primarily a royalty press, we do offer a $50.00 advance for print books, $25.00 for ebooks, and a
$5.00 advance to contributors to anthologies.

Once a book earns back its production costs the author will be receiving 60% of all monies earned.

Production costs will include:

Advances Paid
Distribution Fees
Cover Art
Editing
Typesetting

These items will be listed and itemized on the first royalty statement.

Personally, that's a huge red flag and, since it seems that those terms may be new (I don't see them mentioned in previous posts), folks should be aware that's not what an author-friendly contract looks like.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate this business model with a passion. The writer provides the raw material for the product, but is always last in line to be paid. How is this fair?

I have to add that this pittance of an advance is more than other small publishers utilizing this model pay - but it's still a pittance.