Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Yost Literary Agency

Just wanted to update with the new contact info, from Publishers Lunch:

"Nancy Yost is leaving Lowenstein-Yost Associates Inc. to start up her own literary agency. She may be reached at nancy@nyliterary.com."

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    To no great surprise, her new agency is Nancy Yost Literary Agency (per client's mention: http://ilona-andrews.com/about/press-kit/).

Stand by for thread split.

ETA: Done. As you were.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 07-06-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Whoa - anyone heard/read anything about this split?

Yost is still represented on the LY site, and Nancy doesn't have her own site (yet)...

My PM account expired, dang it. Is Yost showing any sales since the split?

practical experience, FTW havefaith22's Avatar
    I just sent Nancy a query yesterday. First I e-mailed, asking if she was accepting queries and how to go about submitting. She said she was, and suggested I send her a cover letter and the first chapter of the manuscript to her e-mail address (which I don't have on me at the moment - at work).
    The Glass Ceiling - YA Speculative Fiction, Published Dec. 2015 by Midnight Frost Books

(Purchase the Ebook here)

The Case of the Plant Killer - Ages 6-9 Chapter Book, Coming out 2016 from Ice Castle Press

Spirit - MG Magical Realism, Out on submission to agents

website

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukman View Post
    Whoa - anyone heard/read anything about this split?

Yost is still represented on the LY site, and Nancy doesn't have her own site (yet)...

My PM account expired, dang it. Is Yost showing any sales since the split?
    I haven't seen any sales listed on PM since the split. I think I read somewhere that she's not officially "open" until 11/1/09, so that could be why the website's not up. Her email address is: nancy@nyliterary.com
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

The site (nyliterary.com) is up and running. Natanya Wheeler has come over to Yost from Lowenstein (I just queried her like half an hour ago) and another agent is Zoe Shacham, about whom I could find nothing (admittedly, I didn't look hard).

According to the Yost site, they take e-mail or snail-mail queries.

here's to the girl on the go Harper K's Avatar
    Zoe Shacham used to be Zoe Fishman. Any of her previous sales would be listed under that name on PM.

I know of a few YA and romance titles she's sold. She seems to keep a small client list.
    The Center of Gravity, redux (YA contemp), final final FINAL version!:
    62,000 / 65,000 words

What happened, just there? Hedgetrimmer's Avatar
    I sent Natanya Wheeler a query via regular mail the same week I heard about the split. It was for a project I just knew she would want to take a look at. Something told me to hold off until the dust cleared. Anyway, I received a response via SASE with a form letter. After now seeing that she followed Nancy Yost, I wonder if she even looked at my material or simply cleaned out her backlog of mail before heading out the door. Oh, well.

Send it again, at the Nancy Yost address. Worst that can happen is she says to herself, "I already rejected this" and you get another SASE with a rejection.

What happened, just there? Hedgetrimmer's Avatar
    I've considered shooting her a quick note confirming that she did indeed have a chance to read my letter. I know it's silly, but I'm not sure I can take being rejected by the same agent twice. How demoralizing is that?

Yeah, man. I read your query, and I'm still not interested in that crap.

Unless you send your query with it, she's very unlikely to remember who you are. They get far too many queries each week to remember anyone's name.

Or, you could send the query to Nacy Yost or Shacham this time. That way, any rejection wouldn't be twice from the same agent.

Scribble, type, scribble, type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I haven't seen any sales listed on PM since the split. I think I read somewhere that she's not officially "open" until 11/1/09, so that could be why the website's not up. Her email address is: nancy@nyliterary.com
    Not all agencies keep tabs on their sales :-/ It's a little annoying for those of us who like to see their track record (which I guess they figure is why we can just look at their web site?). But I do know for a fact not all agents/editors keep track of their sales on PM. So I usually go by their Web site if it's not on PM. And I just double check to make sure it's a reputable publisher they sold to instead of some little self-publishing company (which would obviously be reason for me not to query).

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by WriterMorgan View Post
    Not all agencies keep tabs on their sales :-/ It's a little annoying for those of us who like to see their track record (which I guess they figure is why we can just look at their web site?). But I do know for a fact not all agents/editors keep track of their sales on PM. So I usually go by their Web site if it's not on PM. And I just double check to make sure it's a reputable publisher they sold to instead of some little self-publishing company (which would obviously be reason for me not to query).

Hope that helps
    Exactly. I look at PM, website, Google book search, etc.

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

So Zoe doesn't rep fantasy - ANY fantasy? Because some agents see fantasy as all forms of fantasy (including paranormal romance etc) while others just see it as high fantasy. I'm wondering whether I should try her...
    The Effigies Series (YA Superhero Fantasy/Simon Pulse)
    FATE OF FLAMES (Book #1) coming November 22, 2016
    Add on: Goodreads

Purchase Links and Synopsis

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my website!

Does anyone know if Ms. Yost is a non-responder? I sent her a query two months ago, and haven't heard back.
    Blog: "Supernatural Smut" http://brooklynann.blogspot.com

Hi Annarkie!

She definitely responds-I queried her on a different project a few months ago and received a rejection about a month and a half post query. Hope this helps.
    YA psychological thriller--repped and revising.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Queried Zoe one month ago to the day. Received polite form R this afternoon. I was sorta hopeful about this one. Sigh.
    (obvious understatement to follow -)
    I'm starting to think this getting an agent thing might be more of a challenge than I suspected...
    Mia Moore
    Represented by Terrie Wolf - AKA Literary Agency
    "Because I said so, that's why." My mother

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Kaitlin Bartlett's Avatar
    Just queried Zoe! Fingers crossed!

spangle maker
    My first post, and I have mixed feelings about that, because AW has been such an amazing resource for me during my query process this past year - I have taken much, so it is time for me to give something back.

I queried Zoe on 8/15/10. On 8/31 she asked for the partial, and on 9/8 she requested the full. On 9/20 she scheduled that fantastic phone call with me, and I am now off to the races!

So my insight to share is this: if Ms. Shacham is interested she will act fast, and her enthusiasm will be obvious. It's too early for me to know if we will be successful together, but she has been so personable, so focused on how she thinks my book should be positioned (YA/crossover-with-supernatural-but-no-vampires, btw) and so patient in answering all of my due diligence questions, that I can't help but be wildly optimistic.

My best to all of you, and my deepest gratitude for all of you who have shared any scrap of information on the hundreds of threads I've read.

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Congrats Pomegranate!
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

Just thought I'd add that I've been with Zoe for four years and still incredibly happy with her. She stuck with my project(s) for almost two years to sell my debut and we've sold 7 books together since. I meet her in person every summer when I go to NYC, and I just love her.

She's been an inspiration to me since *I* have become an agent. If I'm half as good as she is, my clients are in good shape. :-)

Mandy
    www.mandyhubbard.com
    Last edited by MandyHubbard; 10-14-2010 at 08:10 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have a little problem. I queried her last week. Haven't heard back yet, which I expected, but as I reviewed what I sent, I realized that my first chapter was truncated. Should I call to find out what they'd like me to do? Or would that be annoyingly stalky? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,
    Deb

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    Is it just me or is her website totally jacked up? It starts with the normal address and then tries to open something else that's....well I don't even know what it is. Either way, it's not opening for me and making my computer wig out.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgox5 View Post
    Is it just me or is her website totally jacked up? It starts with the normal address and then tries to open something else that's....well I don't even know what it is. Either way, it's not opening for me and making my computer wig out.
    It opens ok for me. Shows name & address and menu across the top, then her logo, then a bunch of her clients book covers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast