College publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painted Wings

Registered
Reaction score
The college that I go to puts out one book each semester consisting of poetry, fiction, art, and photographs submitted by students and alumni. How do people feel about college publications like this? Students create the books with the help of professors. Is it ok to submit things or is it better to not submit work? Is it better to wait and submit work to other places? I had a creative writing professor who told me I should try submitting a few of my poems but I’m not sure if I should.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since this isn't about a particular publication, I'm porting it to ... Roundtable, probably. Hang onto yer hats.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Do they actually reject anything?

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
It depends on what you expect to come from it. If you're just doing it for the fun of seeing your name in print, go ahead. It won't cost you anything, right?

The magazine (it's actually more like a book- heavier anyway) that I was an editor on is annual. I'd never subbed to it though (conflict of interest and all). It's entirely student run, but we do reject quite a few submissions. If I dig up the spreadsheet, I can probably come up with a number.

But yeah, that's my experience. Not sure what it's like at your college though.

Edit: Can't find it, but my memory says we accept about 30%. So that's definitely still higher acceptance than most print, I think.

Last edited:

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a great exposure vehicle, but it does get your work out in front of your school peers (at least those few who read for enjoyment).

School literary magazine are going to be all over the place in terms of competitiveness in submissions and production quality. The one at the college I work for is pretty low-budget, but those at larger schools I've attended have been impressive.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a literary journal from the well-respected Creative Writing Program of my home institution. It is extremely selective, and it has grown a significant reputation in just a few years:

http://www.ecotonejournal.com/about.html

Note added in edit: This one goes way beyond peers in the CW program, as do many of the better university-seated literary journals. These are not done by students, for students, although any students can submit.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a fun activity to take part in with your peers. You might want to save highly publishable work for a better venue but I see no reason to avoid it.

Last edited:

Painted Wings

Registered
Reaction score
I’m sorry I didn’t really know where to post this.

They do reject a lot of things. I asked my professor about this and found out that they are really picky about what they accept. She also said they always do a really nice job. I found a few copies on the school’s website and looked through them. Everything I read was really good. The majority of the poems they choose are more abstract which surprised me because my professors usually criticize students for being abstract.

No it doesn’t cost anything. Actually, they pay each student who has the best submission in each category.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.