Former Titans QB Steve McNair Murdered

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Which is exactly WHY I say that fidelity matters in elected officials.

Look, if someone will lie to the very person they are supposed to be most intimate with, why in the world would anyone else believe a word that comes out of their mouth?

And no, it's not "different." It's a lot easier to lie to a whole bunch of total strangers than to the person you go to sleep next to every night.

Politicians caught screwing around behind their spouse's back should be impeached for lying under oath. That the oath was to the most important person in their life rather than a group of random strangers makes it worse, not less offensive.

Your logic extends to all facets of life. Managers, Supervisors, CEOs, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. etc.

I mean, if a doctor can lie to his wife, that same doctor could lie to you and give you an expensive treatment that you don't need so therefore any doctor caught having an affair can't be trusted to do his duties...

I like the spirit of your comment, but it just doesn't pan out.

Human beings are complicated creatures and able to 'compartimentalize' their bad stuff.

There are people who are complete wrecks at home but at work are models of efficiency.

There are people who are fucking horrible parents, complete assholes to their kids, but are great with other people.

There are people who cheat on their significant others yet are great at their jobs.

etc. etc.

In summary, just because a human being is a piece of shit in one area of their life, doesn't necessarily mean they are incompetent in all the other aspects of their lives. Given that many surveys state that 20% (in some cases higher) of all married people have had an affair, given your logic, we should have a system where 1 out of 5 jobs are done by 'incompetent' people and that just doesn't pan out IMHO.

Mel...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Where did I mention incompetence? I said they were liars. Would you stay with a doctor or lawyer who you knew cheated on their spouse? That just strikes me as foolish. Why should I be able to trust their word if their spouse can't?

I know managers who were passed for promotion because of affairs, and the prez's rationale was the same as mine. Maybe I was just lucky to work for moral small business managers.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
The military frown on adultery. And by 'frowns on', I mean loss of rank, loss of pay, court marshalled, the whole bit up to and including a swift kick on the ass OUT.

And why might that be? Could it be that the military no longer sees those people as trustworthy and loyal? IN GENERAL? Not compartmentalized?