Should I put in a query that another agency is considering the manuscript?

Hotaru

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of sending out more queries on my first manuscript, but I am not sure if it is a good thing to put under these queries that the novel is under consideration but another literary agency.

I am obviously skeptical about how my novel will be received by this or any agency, so I definitely do not want to give the wrong impression in new queries.

Putting that is under consideration could show the agency that someone else thinks that the novel is worth a look but at the same time it could cause them to turn away because they are not willing to fight for the book.

Does anyone know if it looks better or worse to add that information in?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Agents are going to assume that you're sending out multiple submissions at the same time. Telling them others are looking at it means nothing.

You get 250 words to lay out your plot and personal information, don't waste any of those words telling the agent things they don't need to know.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia's post is almost exactly what I was going to say.

Not only do you not need to tell them that, it might be taken in a negative way (as though you were trying to pressure them by implying another agent is interested).

Danthia

Don't say anything unless they ask for a full, then you can say another agent is also reading it so they can prioritize their time. But even that's not a hard and fast rule, and plenty of folks don't do that. I did, since I felt it was both polite, and if agents know others have requested it as well, they might get to it faster. You just need to do what feels the most comfortable to you on that.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I never told anybody anything until they asked...even when they requested my full...when I got asked for exclusives I said gee sorry the full is already out and the response was okay then tell us when you get any offers...
Volunteering info like that sets you up and doesn't make the agent think necessarily that the manuscript is a hot one- they may just not want to take the time to read if at the end of it you say gee I'm already represented...writers do that and it really wastes an agents time...