The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: LaunchBooks Literary Agency (David Fugate)

figuring it all out

LaunchBooks Literary Agency (David Fugate)

He has several sales listed on Publisher's Marketplace, as well as on his own site, so no alarms go off. But I always make it a practice to search a prospective agents name here and little came up under his name.

Now he's asked for a proposal. Anyone have any pertinent info?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    His blog looks gooood. I've linked to it from mine before now (not sure if that's a recommendation or not!).

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin nconner's Avatar
    David Fugate was my agent when he worked at Waterside Productions. He's completely legit, and I enjoyed working with him. LaunchBooks is an appropriate name for the agency he founded, because he really helped to launch the technical/how-to side of my career.

Nancy (Conner) Holzner

Rock and Squiggle plaidearthworm's Avatar
    I have a problem with his site. Literally. Every time I try to look at LaunchBooks, my anti-virus throws up a warning about the site being infected. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

Nasty Woman AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    No, and after I went to the site, I ran a virus scan and everything checked out okay.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

OK, thanks, I'll try it again!
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

Just a follow-up: I queried, received a reply next day from David Fugate. Very nice guy who even went to my website to look over more than mentioned in my query. Although it was ultimately a rejection, he gave me some great advice about blog stats, what numbers draw a publisher's attention, etc. Kind to the nth degree.

practical experience, FTW
    Hi, I just queried Launchbooks based on Jeff Herman's book which said David allocates 5% to fiction. Not true anymore. I received a nice note from David saying he's focused solely on non-fiction.

I've been ghostwriting a memoir for an author who queried David on 5/9/11 and got a form rejection on 5/15.

practical experience, FTW
    I just wanted to add to the mix here. I sent a query letter to Launchbooks and received this rejection letter back.

Thanks for contacting me about your work. Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite a fit for me as an agent. However, I would encourage you to contact other agents about your work as often it's just a matter of talking to enough people until you find someone who connects with what you're doing.

And of course, I wish you all the best of success with the book going forward.

Best regards,

--David

it was very friendly, it was positive and it came less than 24 hrs after the query letter. It was nice to hear back from someone in a positive way. One rejection I got was simply "Not for me. - Signed, So n So". or no response at all.

So While I'm bummed the book wasn't for him, at least he did it in a way that didn't make me feel like crap. lol

Banned
    David is a very nice guy and wonderful to work with. We're publishing one of his clients, Anne Meyers-Drysdale - amazing athlete and wife of Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdalke.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Although website hasn't been updated in a while, is still selling steadily.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: