• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Black Sparrow Books / David R. Godine, Publisher

HPD

Registered
Reaction score
Black Sparrow Press, and the publishing sector of City Lights Books have both expressed interest.

Anyone have any experience with either?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware they have an internet website. Posting it doesn't really tell me anything.

Thanks for sharing.

The link isn't just for you.

Whenever a new publisher/agent is added to B&BC, if there's a link available it's added to the thread so anyone who is looking at potential publishers/agents can take a look (or know what to look out for in the cases of the not so great ones.)

HPD

Registered
Reaction score
So, aside from the fact that they have a website, no one has ANY info on them whatsoever?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Give it time. Your post hasn't been up for an entire 24 hours yet, and for the first twelve of them it didn't have a very useful title.

Why did you submit your work to them?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They have a wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sparrow_Books

Black Sparrow Books, formerly known as Black Sparrow Press, is a boutique book publisher founded in 1966 by John Martin of Santa Rosa, California. He founded this company in order to publish the works of avant-garde authors. He initially financed this company by selling his large collection of rare first editions. Typography and printing were the work of Graham Mackintosh of San Francisco, Noel Young and Edwards Brothers, Inc. Barbara Martin oversaw all of the designs, which are still unique today.

Black Sparrow Press most prominently published the work of authors Charles Bukowski, John Fante and Paul Bowles, as well as Joyce Carol Oates, D.H. Lawrence, George & Mary Oppen, Robert Creeley, Charles Olson, Robert Kelly, Larry Eigner, Michael Palmer, Clayton Eshleman, Charles Reznikoff, Rochelle Owens, Edward Dorn, Jack Spicer, Cid Corman, William Everson and Diane Wakoski. These artists, now considered part of a contemporary 'alternative tradition', were first established and nurtured under the auspices of Black Sparrow Press.

The Black Sparrow Press was sold in 2002 to David R. Godine, Publisher. At this point, John Martin retired. David R. Godine is the exclusive licensed distributor of Black Sparrow Books. Many of the top-selling authors' (Bukowski, Fante, Bowles, etc.) titles were re-printed with the Ecco insignia, replicating the original designs.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a comment earlier, but for some reason it isn't showing up.

Gist:

1. Black Sparrow and City Lights? Congratulations. Wow.

2. Money's unlikely to amount to much, but there's serious prestige attached.

I also had two questions:

1. What kind of a book is it?

2. Are you working in the academia/grants/fellowships economy?

The previous version was of course more graceful.

HPD

Registered
Reaction score
1. What kind of a book is it?

A novella.

2. Are you working in the academia/grants/fellowships economy?

No.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I posted a comment earlier, but for some reason it isn't showing up.

Your earlier comment is in another thread.

The OP posted asking about two presses, under the title "Feedback." I split that into two threads, one for each press, and retitled them to the names of the presses.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Well, then.

HPD, if it's a novella, you've submitted it to the right outfits. Only arty literary presses publish standalone prose fiction at that length. If they do make you an offer, the advance will likely be small to nonexistent, but you won't get better deals elsewhere.

Black Sparrow Press produces nice-looking books.

I asked whether you were operating in the academia/grants/fellowships economy because for people who are, high-prestige publication can be financially rewarding in other ways. All that means in your case is that some writers who are your competitors for publication there will have additional motives for getting published by those presses.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They do take unsolicited queries.

Their submission guidelines aren't very good, leaving that part is buried within the wall of text.

jwallace

Registered
Reaction score
Black Sparrow

I am sure somebody else has already pointed this out, but just in case...Black Sparrow was the home of Bukowski. In my mind that's all you need to know.

HPD

Registered
Reaction score
Black Sparrow was the home of Bukowski. In my mind that's all you need to know.

I'm not sure what you mean. That statement could go either way.

Do you mind elaborating?

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I'm not sure what you mean. That statement could go either way.

Do you mind elaborating?

Bukowski owed his success to John Martin at Black Sparrow...as the story goes, Martin offered the down and out postal worker $100/mo. for life to quit his day job and write full-time.

Martin pretty much converted Bukowski into a novelist and story teller, as opposed to writing mostly poetry.

Black Sparrow is a legendary place, although I have no idea what the new ownership has done. I did a paper on the publisher about a hundred years ago...

The statement could only have meant positive things...

ETA:

One of the great opening lines, from Bukowski's debut novel, POST OFFICE:

"It began as a mistake."

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
HPD, what's the problem? You've been distrustful and unnaturally short with us since you got here. We're just trying to help you.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
HPD, what's the problem? You've been distrustful and unnaturally short with us since you got here. We're just trying to help you.

I was just thinking the same thing....the tone seems really unfriendly, short and, quite frankly, pissy. Maybe it's just me reading into it, but since I've recieved such a warm welcome here, and in all the threads I see nothing but people trying to help each other, I was surprised.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
It's not just you. I thought it was obvious from his first response to James.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Black Sparrow Press said:
Our submissions and query policy for authors and illustrators:
Authors and illustrators should note that Black Sparrow Books does not accept unsolicited manuscripts, portfolios, or proposals. Authors and illustrators are advised to have their agent contact us if they would like us to consider a project. There is no need to address your letter to a particular editor. We prefer query letters rather than full manuscript submissions. If you still would like to send in unsolicited submissions for consideration, please address them to the Editorial Department, attn: Black Sparrow Books Submissions, at our Boston office.

At the risk of flaunting my ignorance: Does Black Sparrow Press accept unsolicited manuscripts, or not?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I interpret that as manuscripts, no; queries, yes. "Submissions" being query plus sample chapter or whatever, rather than full manuscript.

Last edited:

HPD

Registered
Reaction score
"The statement could only have meant positive things..."

I disagree.

Bukowski was a very polemical icon.

I have met many people who have hated his writing and everything he stood for. I have also met people who idolize him.

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
"The statement could only have meant positive things..."

I disagree.

Bukowski was a very polemical icon.

I have met many people who have hated his writing and everything he stood for. I have also met people who idolize him.

OK, then how about Joyce Carol Oates and D.H. Lawrence? One would think their company would inspire some amount of confidence in the legitimacy of the press, at least under its' previous direction.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
David Godine is listed as the publisher. It looks like Black Sparrow is an imprint of his company.