• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Sheil Land Associates Ltd. (UK)

pensinparadise

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody have a web site address for this agency? I am trying to find out what their policy is on simultaneous and multiple submissions. Any help would be most appreciated. Please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to barge into this discussion, but I need help getting to the thread on Sheil Land. Can't for the life of me figure out how to do that and I have a question.

Thanks everybody

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*poing*

But for future reference, the Index is here. :)

Last edited:

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks CaoPaux. But, of course, the link doesn't work for me.

When I sign in, I know how to get here, but not where on that list to go to get to "The List."

Anyhow, my question relates to sending an equery to Ian Drury who says equeries are fine on PM and gives an email address. Problem is, even when I type "Query" in the subject line, email bounces and server tells me that email address thinks its SPAM.

Anyone else had this experience? Know how to get around it? Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Gak, fixed link. :Hammer: The Index is stickied to the top of the main B&BC page.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Updating URL: http://www.sheilland.com/

Y'all might recall she was among the first to launch an ebook imprint (Peach Publishing) to publish clients' backlists, which sparked quite the kerfuffle with Random House (Bookseller article).

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they take attachments, or do they want your pages in the body of the email?

Brian G Turner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sffchronicles.com
Does anyone know if they take attachments, or do they want your pages in the body of the email?

I sent last week as attachments - I can't imagine anyone easily using an email that contains a query, cv, synopsis, and first 50 MS pages.

The requests I've seen to specifically paste material into the email body have been for much smaller samples than that.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I also sent attachments and it was fine. A rejection, but a polite one. :D

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck both of you with your submissions. I heard back within four days (queried 24 Jan, rejected 28 Jan) so they seem to be moving fast at the moment. Got my fingers crossed for you.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Does "full synopsis" mean a one-page or a longer one?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I know, but the guy who replied to me wrote "full". Is it customary to refer to a one-page as a full?

He means it should include the ending - lots of people mistakenly leave the synopsis on a cliffhanger.

maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Sheil Land Associates Literary Agents

Hello, I'm Maverick, and have just joined the Absolute Write Water Cooler forum. I've been wondering if a forum exists for Sheil Land Literary Agents, as I submitted a synopsis and sample chapters of my dystopian, science fiction / fantasy novel, "Poisoned Trees & Yellow Grass," to them nearly 7 weeks ago. They did not state a time limit for which I should wait for a response from them, and I wondered how much longer I should wait before trying another literary agent. I hear Yasmin Standen handles novels of all kinds of genres, and thought I might try her next. I wrote another dystopian novel, "The Down & Outs," years ago, but turned my back on writing for over 20 years because the agent who had just agreed to represent it suddenly died, and his successor wasn't interested in representing the book, which I eventually self-published in 2013.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Bewares and Backgrounds

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I very recently got a form rejection from them about three weeks after I submitted, but that was after I'd let them know I had an offer from another agent.

They're a good agency, and worth waiting for.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You should not be querying agents one at a time and waiting for a respose before querying the next on your list, that way madness lies! I am a client of Shiel Land and on occasions it can take 3 months for me to hear back about a new manuscript.