Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

freeman801

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read this book?

The promotions for it stated "Best book since Fight Club! If you liked Fight Club you'll like this book!" It's called Pygmy. And since I am a big fan of Fight Club (perhaps the most read book out of all the ones I own) I decided to pick it up.

The writing style is jarring. It's in first person POV, but instead of the protagonist saying "I" its "Agent Number 67" or "agent me number 67."

I got used to the style and almost found it endearing. Until the second or so chapter of the book. There was a scene that really bothered me. I'm used to violence and gore and all sorts of mischief from Chuck, but this scene was horrible (it was a very graphic rape...).

I put the book down and started reading something else.

I've since thought about that scene quite often. I tried to unravel the meaning behind it. I think I came to a conclusion on what it meant.

Has anyone read the whole book through. Is it good? How did you get past that scene and are there other rape scenes in the book? I'm wondering because I'm almost done with The Book Thief and am need of another book to read. I was thinking about picking Pygmy up again and giving it a try.

Last edited:

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a bit skittish about Palanuik since I read Haunted. There is a scene in there that almost made me throw up. It seems since Lullabye he's spent more time trying to make people ill than crafting a good story.

Looks like I'll be getting Pygmy from the library (if they have it). Thanks for the heads up.

freeman801

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed Haunted but I agree with your assumption about his current work.

I loved Lullaby, Fight Club, and even Diary.

His story telling has been faltering, though I think I'll give Pygmy another go.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I bet I know the scene you're talking about in Haunted, and me too.

I just finished Pygmy. I loved it. The "Agent me" stuff does take some getting used to, but by the end I was fine with it.

freeman801; said:
I think I came to a conclusion on what it meant.

I've got $0.50 that says whatever you think is wrong. :) No other rape scenes that I recall, but plenty of stuff that was (arguably) worse. There was something in there to offend pretty much anyone. Palahniuk is insane, but even for him this was over the top. I laughed my ass off through most of it.

It's probably not for everyone though.

Last edited:

freeman801

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but...

Okay. SPOILERS.
They are in Wal-Mart when it happens. It happens to the bully who was picking on the agents new live-in brother. From reading tons of other Paluhniuk I figured its probably a commentary on how Wal-Mart is being the bully to all the weaker smaller companies, sometimes even ruining small town economies. The agent raping the bully is Chuck's way of taking revenge against such a monolithic company.

Am I right? Or did the rest of the book reveal the reason?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There was something in there to offend pretty much anyone. Palahniuk is insane, but even for him this was over the top. I laughed my ass off through most of it.

I was considering buying it, but now I have to pick it up.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but...

Okay. SPOILERS.
They are in Wal-Mart when it happens. It happens to the bully who was picking on the agents new live-in brother. From reading tons of other Paluhniuk I figured its probably a commentary on how Wal-Mart is being the bully to all the weaker smaller companies, sometimes even ruining small town economies. The agent raping the bully is Chuck's way of taking revenge against such a monolithic company.

Am I right? Or did the rest of the book reveal the reason?

Hmm. Now that you mention it, that does make a certain amount of sense.

But there were also a couple of major plot consequences of that incident. Highlight for the first one, a fairly large spoiler:

Later, at a school dance, the bully comes up to Pygmy with a gun, marches him out to the parking lot and...asks him to do it again. If I parsed it correctly, something about the sexual charge he got from being dominated was extra-special exciting.

It got even more offensive after that. Really.