• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display Site] Literary Showcase

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find a previous thread on this so figured I'd start a new one.

Literary Showcase is yet another website that enables writers to upload their work to make it available to publishers and production companies, thereby short-cutting the normal submission process.

The list of publishers/production companies includes some well known heavy hitters - notably Canongate and Penguin Books but the terms and conditions point out that there is no guarantee of their accepting work and so far, nothing on the site to indicate that anyone has so far been offered a contract through using the site.

Interestingly, the email sent out promoting this service offers MA students the chance to upload their work without having to pay the normal £30 fee. I've had a v. quick look through the terms and conditions but couldn't find any reference to a fee being payable and there was nothing on the submission form either. I'll take a closer look when I have more time.

Web site is here for anyone interested.

http://www.literaryshowcase.com/

MM

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Display sites of this exact type have been around since the late 1990's. The concept seems to work to some degree for screenplays, but for books, it has never been effective. Publishers have their own slush piles; they have little incentive to go online to look at someone else's.

- Victoria

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of these ever resulted in a career for an author? AFAICT they just exist to take advantage of authors.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it ever had (or if any similar site ever had) someone would have heard about it. Display sites seem to be like diets; if they worked, there wouldn't be so many. Every one of them thinks they're 'reinventing the wheel' so to speak.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. What particularly interested me about this one was the email that came with it claiming that MA students would get the £30 fee waived (which I still can't find anything about in the site's terms and conditions). 30 quid is not exactly spare change for anyone, particularly for a site that does not seem to be displaying any kind of success so far.

MM

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hackers were having a field day with the site early '11, and the domain is now for sale. C'est la vie.