• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dominick Abel Literary Agency

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first writing teacher is or was repped by Dominick Abel. At her first writing convention, she was nervous, speaking on several panels, unused to traveling alone, and her purse was picked while she waited her turn to check in at the hotel's front desk. She was aghast. She asked if Abel had checked in, and could they ring his room? They did, and he used his personal credit card to pay for her room. His office also took care of canceling her credit cards, so she could focus on the convention.

As far as I know, she's still with him.

Maryn, who's lost touch

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding lots of sales for him (usually listed as Dominick Abel Associates), with deals up to "very nice" in PL parlance. Here's some of the finished product.

Zazz

Registered
Reaction score
I understand he's Bently Little's agent. Little has done well, considering he writes horror, a genre that gets little respect (pardon the completely unintentional pun).

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Dominick Abel

Completely legit, a power in the mystery world. Agents a friend of mine, Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters. She's been with him for decades and he's signed her to many heavy hitter deals.

-Ann C. Crispin

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any experiences querying Dominick? Or the agency? Are there other agents? Is there a website hidden somewhere that I'm missing. Submission guidlines? Accepting unoslicited queries? Takes on new writers?

Sheesh. I can't find nottin'. :Shrug:

He's been around for decades, writing impressive deals, and there's little to be found.

:Wha: Really, I didn't mean that play on words...it just happened.

Is it just me, or is this guy a 'powerhouse' mystery? ? ? ?

Oh, what the hell, I'll send a query anyway...:D But I'd love some info if anyone has any...anything...

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I second the question -- esp. re e-mail vs. snail mail. There seems to be contradictory info out there whether or not you can query him by e-mail. Anyone have the answer?

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Unless someone has an email address other than the one listed in AQ, I'd say snail mail is the only option we have.

I tried emailing [email protected] and got a mailer demon response.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, according to Query Tracker, he ONLY accepts snail mail. Query and first chapter according to the comments below. About a 1 month turn around. I'm still researching, but I'll edit this if I find out more.

found this:

http://www.wordhustler.com/agents/3804/Dominick-Abel-Literary-Agency-Inc.html

and this:

http://www.litmatch.net/Literary-Agent-Info.asp?agent_id=68

EDIT: Okay everything I found states what these places say. Snail mail queries only. One person sent the first chapter, but they were ultimately rejected, so I'd just send the query.

Last edited:

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
In response to Leukman's post on "Powerhouse Mystery"... well I did some research. Here's what I came out with..
4 pages on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1255327...dominick abel&rh=i:aps,k:dominick abel&page=1
A hit on barns & noble (their search engine is terrible):
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Color-of-Death/Elizabeth-Lowell/e/9780060504144
I had better luck on google:
http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=d...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
list on W.R. Hammons which yield nothing:
http://www.wrhammons.com/dominick-abel-agency.htm
Some stuff on PM:
www.publishersmarketplace.com/cgi-bin/dealmaker.pl?id=10473

Last edited:

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Sent query, synopsis and 20 page sample snail mail - got a personalized email rejection 6 days later...

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least he's consistently responding to SM queries...;)

Idea Tailor

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone get an answer re e-mail queries?

Newest Writer's Market has only an e-mail for "how to contact" and it's the same one posted here w/note it didn't get through! Q Tracker still says snail mail and the agency still seems to have no web site. Most of all, any evidence they do thriller or are they strictly crime/mystery? (All their best known authors appear to be the latter.) Any info appreciated.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mr. Abel via email and recieved a very...clever response two days later. It read "I do not accept new writers except under extraordinary circumstances, and your work is not, unfortunately, for me." Hmmm, he manages to diss without technically dissing. At least he buffers the blow with the little 'unfortunately' trailer. Imagine if he had left it off. While it grinds a bit, I have to admit I like his style. Oh well, battle on, Vic. Battle on.

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mr. Abel via email and recieved a very...clever response two days later. It read "I do not accept new writers except under extraordinary circumstances, and your work is not, unfortunately, for me." Hmmm, he manages to diss without technically dissing. At least he buffers the blow with the little 'unfortunately' trailer. Imagine if he had left it off. While it grinds a bit, I have to admit I like his style. Oh well, battle on, Vic. Battle on.

Sorry about the "r." Was the email you used the same one posted here? Good luck on your other queries.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com

I got that exact same rejection, so at least he didn't diss you.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

Don't take it personal. :) It's a form response. I got the same exact rejection in October.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Dominick Abel's website is no longer functioning (at least not the one on agentquery.com. Anyone "Abel" (able) to provide a more recent website?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean "dalainc.com"? It's always been an email-only domain.

Regardless, take note that he's currently closed to queries/submissions.

SanFranBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there - Just received a rejection sent to [email protected]. Rejection came in literally minutes! Same form as those stated above: "Thanks for querying me about your work. With a very full plate, I take on new writers only in exceptional circumstances, and your work is not, I am sorry to say, for me"

Hope that helps.