AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominick Abel Literary Agency

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar

Dominick Abel Literary Agency

Not one that I've heard of before.
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com.../dominickabel/
    http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=534

Anyone had any experience with Mr Abel?

My first writing teacher is or was repped by Dominick Abel. At her first writing convention, she was nervous, speaking on several panels, unused to traveling alone, and her purse was picked while she waited her turn to check in at the hotel's front desk. She was aghast. She asked if Abel had checked in, and could they ring his room? They did, and he used his personal credit card to pay for her room. His office also took care of canceling her credit cards, so she could focus on the convention.

As far as I know, she's still with him.

Maryn, who's lost touch
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'm finding lots of sales for him (usually listed as Dominick Abel Associates), with deals up to "very nice" in PL parlance. Here's some of the finished product.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Zazz's Avatar
    I understand he's Bently Little's agent. Little has done well, considering he writes horror, a genre that gets little respect (pardon the completely unintentional pun).
    A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit ~ Richard Bach

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace

Dominick Abel

Completely legit, a power in the mystery world. Agents a friend of mine, Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters. She's been with him for decades and he's signed her to many heavy hitter deals.

-Ann C. Crispin

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peald.htm
    Dominick Abel Literary Agency: $ AAR A literary agency. (Dominick Abel: Literary, Adult)

Like Ann says, an absolute powerhouse in the industry. You couldn't get any better.

Tri

Anybody have any experiences querying Dominick? Or the agency? Are there other agents? Is there a website hidden somewhere that I'm missing. Submission guidlines? Accepting unoslicited queries? Takes on new writers?

Sheesh. I can't find nottin'.

He's been around for decades, writing impressive deals, and there's little to be found.

Really, I didn't mean that play on words...it just happened.

Is it just me, or is this guy a 'powerhouse' mystery? ? ? ?

Oh, what the hell, I'll send a query anyway... But I'd love some info if anyone has any...anything...

I second the question -- esp. re e-mail vs. snail mail. There seems to be contradictory info out there whether or not you can query him by e-mail. Anyone have the answer?

Unless someone has an email address other than the one listed in AQ, I'd say snail mail is the only option we have.

I tried emailing agency@dalainc.com and got a mailer demon response.

practical experience, FTW jsouders's Avatar
    Hi guys, according to Query Tracker, he ONLY accepts snail mail. Query and first chapter according to the comments below. About a 1 month turn around. I'm still researching, but I'll edit this if I find out more.

found this:

http://www.wordhustler.com/agents/38...gency-Inc.html

and this:

http://www.litmatch.net/Literary-Age...sp?agent_id=68

EDIT: Okay everything I found states what these places say. Snail mail queries only. One person sent the first chapter, but they were ultimately rejected, so I'd just send the query.
    Last edited by jsouders; 09-21-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: adding links

In response to Leukman's post on "Powerhouse Mystery"... well I did some research. Here's what I came out with..
    4 pages on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12553272...%20abel&page=1
    A hit on barns & noble (their search engine is terrible):
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Col.../9780060504144
    I had better luck on google:
    http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=do...ient=firefox-a
    list on W.R. Hammons which yield nothing:
    http://www.wrhammons.com/dominick-abel-agency.htm
    Some stuff on PM:
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...er.pl?id=10473
    Last edited by nicolesingslave; 10-13-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Sent query, synopsis and 20 page sample snail mail - got a personalized email rejection 6 days later...

Oh dear, sorry to hear the Leukman. I just fired off mine. Email to boot. I am a 'ballsy' woman. Let's see what happens.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Form rejection in three days. Snail mail query.

Well, at least he's consistently responding to SM queries...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Idea Tailor's Avatar

Did anyone get an answer re e-mail queries?

Newest Writer's Market has only an e-mail for "how to contact" and it's the same one posted here w/note it didn't get through! Q Tracker still says snail mail and the agency still seems to have no web site. Most of all, any evidence they do thriller or are they strictly crime/mystery? (All their best known authors appear to be the latter.) Any info appreciated.

Check the AAR web site, as Dominick Abel's a listed agent there (www.aar-online.org). Rather than listing what he represents, he has a long list of what he doesn't. And he accepts email queries.

practical experience, FTW Victoria's Avatar
    I queried Mr. Abel via email and recieved a very...clever response two days later. It read "I do not accept new writers except under extraordinary circumstances, and your work is not, unfortunately, for me." Hmmm, he manages to diss without technically dissing. At least he buffers the blow with the little 'unfortunately' trailer. Imagine if he had left it off. While it grinds a bit, I have to admit I like his style. Oh well, battle on, Vic. Battle on.

practical experience, FTW Sakura-chan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I queried Mr. Abel via email and recieved a very...clever response two days later. It read "I do not accept new writers except under extraordinary circumstances, and your work is not, unfortunately, for me." Hmmm, he manages to diss without technically dissing. At least he buffers the blow with the little 'unfortunately' trailer. Imagine if he had left it off. While it grinds a bit, I have to admit I like his style. Oh well, battle on, Vic. Battle on.
    Sorry about the "r." Was the email you used the same one posted here? Good luck on your other queries.
    Nothing ever beats a "try" but a failure. You will never know the outcome unless you first give it a try.

SW-Complete, querying
    CM-Complete; shelved
    CN-Complete, shelved
    GC-34,500/70,000 (2011 WIP)

This
    in comparison to this

(One day it'll be the reverse; just not today.)

I got that exact same rejection, so at least he didn't diss you.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Don't take it personal. It's a form response. I got the same exact rejection in October.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Twitter: @petedutcherjr PeteDutcher's Avatar
    Dominick Abel's website is no longer functioning (at least not the one on agentquery.com. Anyone "Abel" (able) to provide a more recent website?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Do you mean "dalainc.com"? It's always been an email-only domain.

Regardless, take note that he's currently closed to queries/submissions.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi there - Just received a rejection sent to dominick@dalainc.com. Rejection came in literally minutes! Same form as those stated above: "Thanks for querying me about your work. With a very full plate, I take on new writers only in exceptional circumstances, and your work is not, I am sorry to say, for me"

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast