August book study poll - Fantasy

Which Fantasy novel should we read and discuss for August?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome.

But only one vote so far for the Witcher book? You know I may have to put the first Witcher book (The Last Wish) on the October poll :tongue

Regardless, this should be a fun race. Where are my 'non-euro/american' folks? :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And really, I would be happy to read any of these books (though I'm not so sure how Palimpsest will go, lol). We got a good selection to pick from, and I may have to read them all eventually. If only I had more time!

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, tough choice here! Whichever one wins, though, I think some of these should come back in a future poll.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Geez, that was tough. All of them look interesting, though I'm especially curious about Neil Gaiman's new book and 'Night Watch.'

ELMontague

Graveyard Book in the lead by one and the others are all tied up. What will it be?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Night Watch caught up with Graveyard and the other two are a neck behind!

Wow, I'm impressed by the turnout. We will definitely need to work these into future polls.

I'm hoping slightly for the first two, but I'm still happy regardless. You won't pull me away from Sapkowski until I at least finish his first book though :D I started it yesterday and it is very interesting. The funny thing is the opening is full of convo-dumps and I still had a hard time putting it down last night. So much new stuff and interesting characters... (this is the first book, not Blood of Elves)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I voted for Night Watch purely because I like the title and know nothing about the obviously Russian/Ukrainian author. But I've read some really good Fantasy/SF from eastern European authors, and they generally have a different take on things than North American/British authors do.

I most certainly did not vote for Blood of Elves, also by an eastern European author, for the same reason: the title. Any title with the word "elves" in it gets a pass with me, as does any title with the word "blood" in it.

caw

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know I go to the trouble of posting those amazon links so you can vote off more than just the titles, right?

Dislikes of elves notwithstanding.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know doodlysquat about any of the books. But it is a "study" poll, right? I'm going to read the book I voted for, if I can find it. I'll report accordingly.

caw

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Graveyard Book wins! You can get it at Amazon or B&N for a nice discount, or hear it online as Som1 mentioned, or ofc your library or locally.

ELMontague

Bought the book last night. I am only about 100 pages in, but I am really enjoying the book. Gaiman has a singular vision of the world.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping to make sure anyone who's interested hits the library/bookstore/internets to get the book. The writing is incredible and it's a pretty quick read.

As an alternative, I will add one more plug for http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx where you can hear Neil read the whole thing for free. He does great live readings.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally set aside time to listen, and it resets around minute 8, even after reloading. Anyone else have trouble?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nevermind, it's working this morning with Firefox, so I'll blame IE. :)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I finally set aside time to listen, and it resets around minute 8, even after reloading. Anyone else have trouble?

Hmmm... I was having the same trouble in fire fox. I gave up and bought the book yesterday. So far so good!

Nicole

SWickham

Wonders what all the fuss is about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandrawickham.com
Ooh ooh, I would've voted for the Graveyard book!

I will try and get it read or listened to, I'll have to push aside my other stacks of books and mags (I just got the Aug/Sept issue of SF&F and haven't even finished May's issue yet-yikes!) and I'll have to put aside all the awesome podcasts I'm listening too..aaaack! But I'd like to join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.