Applying the rules to what I'm writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cris

New kid, gentle not required
Registered
Reaction score
So I am looking for insight on the choice I’m leaning towards in telling my WIP.

Originally, I opened the story with two chapters from the same day, one early morning and one late at night. However, upon applying rules to the WIP, I’m not sure now that path will work for me. Without further ado, the examples.

Chp 1: Is told from the vantage point of an old storyteller on the docks. He notices the ‘great sign of impending doom’ thing that puts into motion the events of the story. He is a secondary character, and before he manages to pass on the word of said impending doom, he is murdered. (The issues with this are not introducing a main character right away and not giving us his motivation.)

Chp 2: Deals with a MC, and establishes goals and motivations for the story.

Perhaps I use the storyteller chapter as a prologue? The information is important, along with his reaction.

Unsure of the best way to write this,

Cris

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
What rules? Write the story as you see fit. If it works, great. If it doesn't, fix it.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Rules were made to be understood, then bent, broken, folded, spindled, mutilated, and whatever other destructive or mangling verb you have handy, as necessary.

Now, with that out of the way, I'm hesitant to make any judgment calls on this without seeing how it works in operation. The only suggestion I can make and not second-guess myself is if your POVs throughout the book only deal with main characters, Chapter 1 probably doesn't fit.

Your question is best posed to beta readers, who can judge it in the proper context.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to consider - have you finished the first draft? You might decide once you reach the ending that the story ought to start somewhere else. If so, don't worry about it right now. In a first draft, the beginning is just the launch pad so you can find the rest of the story.

As for prologue vs. no prologue, there are a multitude of threads about the pros and cons of prologues. Apparently a lot of people don't read prologues, so if the information is necessary to the story, make it chapter 1 to ensure that it's read.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
I'd just blast it out, and worry about the rules later. You're probably going to rewrite it a bunch of times anyway. My advice is to get it down while you have the inspiraiton, and worry about cleaning it up later. I think you'll have a better foundation that way.

If you get too hung up on the rules, that is the quickest way to just suck the creativity right out of your soul. Sure, try to apply as many of them as you can handle (and remember) during the first draft, but don't make it your prime objective.

Also, I love prologues, where some hate them. Being biased that way, it sounds like you should make that first chapter a prologue.

My two cents. Since they don't make pennies out of real copper anymore, maybe I should say my six cents.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

Chp 1: Is told from the vantage point of an old storyteller on the docks. He notices the ‘great sign of impending doom’ thing that puts into motion the events of the story. He is a secondary character, and before he manages to pass on the word of said impending doom, he is murdered. (The issues with this are not introducing a main character right away and not giving us his motivation.)

Chp 2: Deals with a MC, and establishes goals and motivations for the story.

Perhaps I use the storyteller chapter as a prologue? The information is important, along with his reaction.

I'll take a stab at this, since you did ask for specific advice.

Look very critically at the information you pass along in Ch. 1. Why is it necessary for this "great sign of impending doom" to be shown to the reader ahead of time? Is it necessary at all? Can the information be discovered by the MC over the course of the story, and still be of value to the reader?

I ask these questions, because lots of times we think a chapter is necessary in order to impart information to the reader or to create tension/intrigue from the onset, but it turns out it really isn't. Readers are pretty smart. They're trusting you to take them on a journey with your MC.

Is anyone introduced in Ch 1 that is seen again later on in the book? If not, and if the scene is deemed absolutely necessary to include, my advice is to make it a prologue.

Cris

New kid, gentle not required
Registered
Reaction score
I've already written my rough, a few times. I've made the ending and am now trying to 'line' everything up for flow.

With the storyteller, I'm trying to set scene and establish that something bad could be in order before I hop to the first MC being sent on their superior ordered errands to handle the oncoming bad. Since superiors are adept at cloaking things in a need to know basis.

I guess it's like a tree falling in the wood. Without that tree falling I wouldn't have the story of the section of the forest cut off from water now because the tree fell.

Last edited:

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I say write it however you wish, then go back and look at the complete novel in its first-draft form to see what should be kept and what shouldn't.

My only concern from the limited info you've offered is if this man sees the impending doom and is then murdered before telling anyone, what's it adding to the story? He gets the info and then dies before he can pass on that info, bringing the story back to square one. Of course, that's just my limited opinion. I obviously don't really know how it's all working out. :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
if this man sees the impending doom and is then murdered before telling anyone, what's it adding to the story? He gets the info and then dies before he can pass on that info, bringing the story back to square one.

Well, it informs the reader of impending doom.

But as said above, get yourself some betas and see what they think, because it's all about context. Prologues are better received in fantasy than most genres,( I love a good one one) as long as they are a) necessary and b) intriguing.

I broke all the rules - my prologue has someone that's not a POV character ( until the epilogue anyway) AND I don't name him. I will probably burn in hell

Oh wait, I don't believe in hell

Phew

Status
Not open for further replies.