Upset in the Making? US leads Brazil 2-0 in FIFA Cup Final

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard. It's entirely possible I'll have to go down to the bar to watch this one with the Hispanic cooks.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Brazil won the Confederation Cup, defeating the US 3-2. The US played a strong first half and took a 2-0 lead into the second half, but the quality of Brazil came though and they wore the US down, scoring three goals in the second half to take the game.

A good showing for the US, but they still have a ways to go before they can join the world roster of elite teams.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
A good showing for the US, but they still have a ways to go before they can join the world roster of elite teams.

Umm...correct me if I'm wrong but the US placed second in the FIFA tournament, after defeating a Spain team ranked # 1 in the world and breaking their 35 game win streak. Seems to me that they're well on the way to getting there. So their 'ways to go' is what? One goal against Brazil? Two?

Don't get me wrong--the US is a young team and definitely has some work to do before the World Cup. I just don't think that anyone can dismiss them quite this cavalierly anymore.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Umm...correct me if I'm wrong but the US placed second in the FIFA tournament, after defeating a Spain team ranked # 1 in the world and breaking their 35 game win streak. Seems to me that they're well on the way to getting there. So their 'ways to go' is what? One goal against Brazil? Two?

Don't get me wrong--the US is a young team and definitely has some work to do before the World Cup. I just don't think that anyone can dismiss them quite this cavalierly anymore.
As a former college and club player, I've been following US (and world) Soccer for years. Decades, really.

They've had some strong performances. But in my opinion, to reach the level of the elite teams, you need world class players. All of the elites, Brazil, Spain, the Netherlands, Argentina, etc have superstars -- Kaka, Lionel Messi, Christian Ronaldo, and the like. Brazil is so strong they can't even find a place on their squad for Ronaldino.

The great club teams, like Barca, Man U, Real Madrid, do not have a single American player on their rosters, and never have, excepting goalkeepers. The individual US players simply lack the skills necessary.

Not to say they can't come up with some impressive victories. The current Sacramento Kings are capable of beating the Lakers on a given day, but that doesn't put them in the same class as a team.

Believe me, I cheer the US on as loudly as anyone, but objectively they're just not there yet.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would just like to say :rant: