What's your fear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest, most debilitating fear is clicking the "Send" button and only THEN finding the obvious, stupid error in the first paragraph of the novel.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My fear is rejection, I haven't sent a query in months.

Join the club. I haven't sent one in a year-and-a-half. But I'm not quite sure it's exactly "fear of rejection". I've had bazoogles of those (and nothing else). I think now it's just a cold knowledge of the certainty of rejection, which trails quickly into "Why bother?"

caw

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Join the club. I haven't sent one in a year-and-a-half. But I'm not quite sure it's exactly "fear of rejection". I've had bazoogles of those (and nothing else). I think now it's just a cold knowledge of the certainty of rejection, which trails quickly into "Why bother?"

caw

Are you sure you aren't secretly writing my life?

I haven't queried or submitted in over 2 years. I even destroyed all my work which was rejected. Shredded all the copies, deleted them from the jump drives and computer, then the jump drive broke and the computer died so they exist nowhere now.

I still believe they were my best work. I haven't had any real inspiration since then either. I wrote them all in an almost euphoric state, enjoying the storylines, loving the characters, writing all day and most of the night for months.

I really loved those 'novels-in-waiting'.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I'll get an agent, who will place my work with a major publishing house, and then the editor will demand that I make changes which damage my vision for the story. I would then be forced to choose between making the changes and publishing a book I'm ashamed of, or standing my ground and losing the chance to publish and the advance money which I desperately need. In fact, I fear the entire publishing process so much I was genuinely relieved when my last novel was rejected. I often wonder if I don't subconsciously sabotage myself during the querying phase.

Of course, the up side to this is that I'm not upset when I get rejections, lol.

cindystubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Dogs and Fears

I fear that I'll never finish the darn book and I haven't done enough to be an author.
As for Dogs, I imagined a novel in which dogs became so rare, they became a status symbol. Everyone is talking about the things their dog does and the dog is allowed to whatever he wants to do.
They become very expensive and have to have security.
Just an idea, then I could point out all the great things dogs do for us.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I'll get an agent, who will place my work with a major publishing house, and then the editor will demand that I make changes which damage my vision for the story.

Hey. I already did that. Only it was a screenplay. With a minor company. And my first thought was, "They don't want the story I wrote, but their version of it." Three years later, that rocket never launched.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
My fear is that I'll write a damn good book, and one of the following will happen:

-the plot is tired, it's in many of the books I haven't read because I'm an uncultured twit.

-I'll catch the attention of an agent or editor and upon talking to me they think I'm an uncultured twit and bid me adieu.

-I'll forever be an uncultured twit.

etc.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Drowning, Burning, Dieing from unknown causes (I want to face my killer damnit!!! even if it is a bullet, i'll at least know what got me)

Everything else, such as my writing suckage is a known, and I know I will fix it eventually.

eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.