Help Hosting Awards Banquet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everyone ;)

The first year I hosted this event, I was sort of tossed in the deep end without any idea of what I was doing. I made the best of the odd situation, but this year, I'd like to really give the attendees what they came for.

This is a state-wide writing competition with seven categores--each having 5 winners--so 35 winners to announce in all.

My hope is that someone here will give me any pointers that worked for them, or something they truly enjoyed while attending an awards ceremony.

Thank you all for your time!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to host an awards ceremony for an informal writing group many years ago. We got together annually for a weekend and because I was the editor of the newsletter, I was the default runner of the annual meeting.

What I did with the awards was simple: After saying a little something about the awards and how they were tallied, any odd comments that came in on the ballots, etc, I had the previous year's winners (if they were in attendence) to present the awards for that category. It worked really well because last year's winners once again got that moment of recognition again, there was often some good natured banter between me, presenter and/or new winners, and it broke up the monotone of just one person standing up there.

IIRC, the Compton Crook Award also has the previous year's winner give the award to the new winner, but I don't know how they structure their award ceremony.

Good luck with it.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks bunches for the tip. I will definitely see if this can be worked in. Because it's a state-wide thing though, with the conference rotating in each quadrant, it might be hard to get enough of them together. I can always ask though!

Thanks again--that really was nerve-wracking, standing up there silently while I waited for a person to come up to the podium to accept their award. It seemed eons before they were able to get there. I'm thinking that I'll read a bit of the judges comments about the reason why that particular piece was chosen while they're coming up. It's a two hour event--so that makes it tough!

Warmly,
Jenny :)

*Who is still eager for more ideas! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.