Affiliate links on Wordpress?

Polly

Back from the Brink
Registered
Reaction score
Blogs with the primary purpose of driving traffic to affiliate programs and get-rich-quick schemes (”Make six figures from home!!”, “20 easy steps to top profits!!”, etc). This includes multi-level marketing (MLM) blogs and pyramid schemes. To be clear, people writing their own original book, movie or game reviews and linking them to Amazon, or people linking to their own products on Etsy do NOT fall into this category.
This is taken from here and is an example of what is not allowed on Wordpress. Am I right in understanding that at some point I could be an affiliate of, say, allposters.co.uk (so I could use the lovely lovely pictures to illustrate my blog posts) and that would be within the rules?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... just want to be sure I'm not breaking any rules.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
As far as I know, in free WordPress blogs, you cannot put advertisements. You can either go for Self Hosted Wordpress blogs or if you want free option then Blogger/Blogspot of Google is indeed the best

Polly

Back from the Brink
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I don't actually want to advertise anyway - the blog was never intended to make any money. I was just rather enamoured with all the pretty pictures :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the affiliate link would earn you money based on the click and/or subsequent purchase you cannot use it. I am sure they would not object to you using a non-affiliate link from the same picture.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this thread is old, but I came across it and thought I would update that you can use Wordpress for affiliate marketing now. I believe these rules were before Google updates that removed all the spammy sites.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yep it just can't be an "affiliate site" specifically. Wordpress.com is fine for promoting your own books, though.

LukeWoolsey

Registered
Reaction score
Just as a note on this as well. Anyone can be an affiliate, there are no limitations on it. The best affiliates are 'content' affiliates who offer original content such as a blog and link to external websites as part of it. So with allposters you wouldn't be able to use their content for free to advertise their products, but if you wrote an article about images and where to find them, you can link to allposters and receive commission for the traffic/sales generated.

There are more than Google Adwords, remember that people. There are affiliate networks where the retailers directly offer commission for sales. In American look for Linkshare, Digital Window, Webgains, ShareASale. They will approve you onto programs, you get a link and you just apply it to the website. Every sale you generate tracks in their system and commission is paid to you if the sale isn't cancelled. In the UK you can find them at Affiliate Window, Tradedoubler, Linkshare, Webgains and more but start with those four.