• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tristram C. Coburn Literary Management

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Tristram C. Coburn Literary Management? It’s a fairly new agency, but Mr. Coburn was the acquisitions editor for McGraw-Hill International Marine (and maybe still is, as he’s still listed on their website), and was previously an editor with Simon & Schuster Pocket Books.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I can speak to his character and editing ability.

Tris was the editor who hookwinked his bosses into accepting my book. I worked with him closely for a year or so. He was unfailingly patient, gracious, helpful and kind. He made several suggestions which bettered my book.

He also gets my sense of humour which means he's intelligent and perceptive. ;)

When he told me he was leaving the editing life he said he was considering becoming an agent.

I wish him the best.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
I can speak to his character and editing ability.

Tris was the editor who hookwinked his bosses into accepting my book. I worked with him closely for a year or so. He was unfailingly patient, gracious, helpful and kind. He made several suggestions which bettered my book.

He also gets my sense of humour which means he's intelligent and perceptive. ;)

When he told me he was leaving the editing life he said he was considering becoming an agent.

I wish him the best.

I very briefly worked with Tris on a coaching series, and he was gracious, patient, and very nice to work with. I don't know what his skills are as an agent, but he's an awfully nice guy.
Lauri

netsil

Tris is the greatest. I published a best seller in the 80's. He took me on and sold my book to a mainline publisher and we are working on the second with the same publisher. He's first rate, honest, nice, and forthright....in short...a standup guy. Jim Silvester, Virginia.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know Tris in an agenting sense, but worked with him when he was with Ragged Mountain Press, a division of McGraw-Hill. He was a pleasure to work with: professional, polite, and a stand-up guy.
Lauri

Oh--just noticed I wrote practically the same thing upthread. Oh well--it's still true.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Having requested material, he failed to respond, even after a year, even after a couple of emails. How difficult it is to send an email saying, sorry, not for me? He may be a stand-up guy, but I have to say I found him unprofessional.

DJVaughn

Tris Coburn

There can't be two of them. I sent a manuscript to him several years ago when he was at pocket books. I had a kind of in with him. A writer who he had previously published called him and said my manuscript was coming. He was a friend of Clive Cussler. I belive Coburn also edited for him. Mr. Coburn held by manuscript for well over a year, (you know how they don't want you to submit to anyone else till you hear from them. He then sent me back the manuscript unopened with a note saying he was getting out of the business and he wished me luck. He kept me on hold wasting over a year of my life. You think maybe he could have refered it on to someone else at Pocket Books? He didn't do that.
I didn't think very much of him. So many agents and publishers feel that you have to follow their strict rules and also sell them within a couple of paragraghs. Maybe that's why so much garbage gets into print.

I have since self published. The book is called From The Heights and it is far better than some of the crap he has helped put into print.

Of course I am a little partial to my own work.

You do deserve a reply.
Good Luck, Doug Vaughn

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
There can't be two of them. I sent a manuscript to him several years ago when he was at pocket books. I had a kind of in with him. A writer who he had previously published called him and said my manuscript was coming. He was a friend of Clive Cussler. I belive Coburn also edited for him. Mr. Coburn held by manuscript for well over a year, (you know how they don't want you to submit to anyone else till you hear from them. He then sent me back the manuscript unopened with a note saying he was getting out of the business and he wished me luck. He kept me on hold wasting over a year of my life. You think maybe he could have refered it on to someone else at Pocket Books? He didn't do that.
I didn't think very much of him. So many agents and publishers feel that you have to follow their strict rules and also sell them within a couple of paragraghs. Maybe that's why so much garbage gets into print.

I have since self published. The book is called From The Heights and it is far better than some of the crap he has helped put into print.

Of course I am a little partial to my own work.

You do deserve a reply.
Good Luck, Doug Vaughn

Welcome, Doug. :welcome:

As a word of advice, never allow anyone to hold your book hostage for a year. Try to avoid exclusives if you can, or set a time limit - 30 days or whatever. If you don't set a time limit, write them after your own mental time limit telling them politely you'll be sending out to others iunless you hear from them within a week or so. Someone more experienced with exclusives can give you the wording.

All the best to you and your career. :)

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have his email address? I hear his only wants email queries, but I can't find an address.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I sent him an e-query back in January, 2007. I haven't heard anything back, which I'm not surprised because to be honest...the query sucked really, really bad!

Rikitikitavi

Registered
Reaction score
He and I fought like cats and dogs while he edited me at IM, but that was mostly personal and over the copy-editor. He was actually a good editor and is quite patient. I don't anybody would have trouble with him. He has a good sense of humor.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates?

Was considering sending a query to Tris based on some mutual interests and similarities between my book and some recent sales he has made. Has anyone queried lately? I could not find him on QT.
Thanks,
Bryan

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my YA Urban Fantasy to him.

Thanks! Let us know what he says. I sent my query this afternoon for my historical fiction "The Dugout in the Basement". Will post back when I get a response.
Bryan

Last edited:

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
PM lists him with a publisher as of 2014: Tilbury House, Thomaston ME. Listed as "co-publisher" with email [email protected]