AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Tristram C. Coburn Literary Management

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar

Tristram C. Coburn Literary Management

Does anyone have experience with Tristram C. Coburn Literary Management? Itís a fairly new agency, but Mr. Coburn was the acquisitions editor for McGraw-Hill International Marine (and maybe still is, as heís still listed on their website), and was previously an editor with Simon & Schuster Pocket Books.

I can speak to his character and editing ability.

Tris was the editor who hookwinked his bosses into accepting my book. I worked with him closely for a year or so. He was unfailingly patient, gracious, helpful and kind. He made several suggestions which bettered my book.

He also gets my sense of humour which means he's intelligent and perceptive.

When he told me he was leaving the editing life he said he was considering becoming an agent.

I wish him the best.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

I Heart Mac Absolute Sage Lauri B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aka eraser
    I can speak to his character and editing ability.

Tris was the editor who hookwinked his bosses into accepting my book. I worked with him closely for a year or so. He was unfailingly patient, gracious, helpful and kind. He made several suggestions which bettered my book.

He also gets my sense of humour which means he's intelligent and perceptive.

When he told me he was leaving the editing life he said he was considering becoming an agent.

I wish him the best.
    I very briefly worked with Tris on a coaching series, and he was gracious, patient, and very nice to work with. I don't know what his skills are as an agent, but he's an awfully nice guy.
    Lauri

practical experience, FTW
    Mr. Coburn, in the rejection I just received, says he is not accepting new clients at this time.

netsil
    Tris is the greatest. I published a best seller in the 80's. He took me on and sold my book to a mainline publisher and we are working on the second with the same publisher. He's first rate, honest, nice, and forthright....in short...a standup guy. Jim Silvester, Virginia.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The only listings I can find are at WN http://www.writers.net/agents/39010, and a PR firm, of all places: http://www.b-pr.com/tris.htm

Google finds mention of one sale: to a publisher which, while certainly respectable, doesn't require agented submissions. Anyone know of others?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I Heart Mac Absolute Sage Lauri B's Avatar
    I don't know Tris in an agenting sense, but worked with him when he was with Ragged Mountain Press, a division of McGraw-Hill. He was a pleasure to work with: professional, polite, and a stand-up guy.
    Lauri

Oh--just noticed I wrote practically the same thing upthread. Oh well--it's still true.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Having requested material, he failed to respond, even after a year, even after a couple of emails. How difficult it is to send an email saying, sorry, not for me? He may be a stand-up guy, but I have to say I found him unprofessional.

DJVaughn

Thumbs down Tris Coburn

There can't be two of them. I sent a manuscript to him several years ago when he was at pocket books. I had a kind of in with him. A writer who he had previously published called him and said my manuscript was coming. He was a friend of Clive Cussler. I belive Coburn also edited for him. Mr. Coburn held by manuscript for well over a year, (you know how they don't want you to submit to anyone else till you hear from them. He then sent me back the manuscript unopened with a note saying he was getting out of the business and he wished me luck. He kept me on hold wasting over a year of my life. You think maybe he could have refered it on to someone else at Pocket Books? He didn't do that.
    I didn't think very much of him. So many agents and publishers feel that you have to follow their strict rules and also sell them within a couple of paragraghs. Maybe that's why so much garbage gets into print.

I have since self published. The book is called From The Heights and it is far better than some of the crap he has helped put into print.

Of course I am a little partial to my own work.

You do deserve a reply.
    Good Luck, Doug Vaughn

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJVaughn View Post
    There can't be two of them. I sent a manuscript to him several years ago when he was at pocket books. I had a kind of in with him. A writer who he had previously published called him and said my manuscript was coming. He was a friend of Clive Cussler. I belive Coburn also edited for him. Mr. Coburn held by manuscript for well over a year, (you know how they don't want you to submit to anyone else till you hear from them. He then sent me back the manuscript unopened with a note saying he was getting out of the business and he wished me luck. He kept me on hold wasting over a year of my life. You think maybe he could have refered it on to someone else at Pocket Books? He didn't do that.
    I didn't think very much of him. So many agents and publishers feel that you have to follow their strict rules and also sell them within a couple of paragraghs. Maybe that's why so much garbage gets into print.

I have since self published. The book is called From The Heights and it is far better than some of the crap he has helped put into print.

Of course I am a little partial to my own work.

You do deserve a reply.
    Good Luck, Doug Vaughn
    Welcome, Doug.

As a word of advice, never allow anyone to hold your book hostage for a year. Try to avoid exclusives if you can, or set a time limit - 30 days or whatever. If you don't set a time limit, write them after your own mental time limit telling them politely you'll be sending out to others iunless you hear from them within a week or so. Someone more experienced with exclusives can give you the wording.

All the best to you and your career.

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Does anyone have his email address? I hear his only wants email queries, but I can't find an address.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desperateauthor View Post
    Does anyone have his email address? I hear his only wants email queries, but I can't find an address.
    Try this one (got it from Writers.net):

tccoburn@adelphia.net

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

practical experience, FTW Moon Daughter's Avatar
    I sent him an e-query back in January, 2007. I haven't heard anything back, which I'm not surprised because to be honest...the query sucked really, really bad!
    YA Paranormal 70k (still plugging away)
    YA Thriller 86,000 (trunked)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    He and I fought like cats and dogs while he edited me at IM, but that was mostly personal and over the copy-editor. He was actually a good editor and is quite patient. I don't anybody would have trouble with him. He has a good sense of humor.

Has a website now: http://www.tcclm.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar

Any updates?

Was considering sending a query to Tris based on some mutual interests and similarities between my book and some recent sales he has made. Has anyone queried lately? I could not find him on QT.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

i just just got a partial request from him.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyig View Post
    i just just got a partial request from him.
    That's great to hear. Good luck! I am preparing my query now. If you don't mind me asking, what type of book is it that you submitted to him?
    Bryan

I submitted my YA Urban Fantasy to him.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyig View Post
    I submitted my YA Urban Fantasy to him.
    Thanks! Let us know what he says. I sent my query this afternoon for my historical fiction "The Dugout in the Basement". Will post back when I get a response.
    Bryan
    Last edited by pavtbr; 10-28-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: sent query

The website is gone and I can't find any info about him or his agency. Anyone have an update?
    Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers.

practical experience, FTW
    PM lists him with a publisher as of 2014: Tilbury House, Thomaston ME. Listed as "co-publisher" with email tcc@tilburyhouse.com