Let's talk about spam writers.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Well.

I guess we've answered a lot about them.

1. Spam's from bots or other programs.
2. Spam is in some cases written by people.
3. Some of those people are 'writers'.

And on top of that, it's a good way to get a smackdown.

But...is it freelancing? If so, is that the ultimate bottom of the barrel job?

Team 2012

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
mayancalendargirls.com
I'm about two seconds away from putting on my Admin hat and booting your ass.

We just booted another spammer.

Okay. This is probably a huge mistake because our experience here has been that questioning these things just leads to more heat and banning.

But we just have to ask WHY ARE WE "SPAMMERS"? We have almost three hundred posts here. We have 21 "reputation" citations all complimenting and thanking us but for three--two by the same guy, two from the same thread.

We have a link to our project. Our WRITING. On a WRITING FORUM. There is nothing for sale there, there is no advertising, there is no place to sign up for anything or input email or anything. It's just our writing.

Meanwhile many posters here have signature links. You yourself have several, including links to places with advertising and product placements. Is the problem having a banner? We think it's cute. If it's not OK, tell us it's not OK. And why it's not OK for us but okay for others. Like the one up this thread that's an ad for a stat service.

(And PLEASE don't come on with "you're driving traffic to your site" nonsense. There is no way to "drive traffic"--that's hipester talk. All you can do is offer a link to people who are interested. Which we do. As do you. As do the majority of writers on this site.

Now, if we are somehow "wrong" or rotten, please explain why. What's the difference? Why can't we have a link to our work?

Why can't we put in a little self-depracatory joke without drawing official heat? We have discussed this among ourselves and with other members of this forum. Nobody can figure it out. The only input we got was that we were somehow identified as villains upon showing up and that happens sometimes.

But please. Can you give us a little fair play here? If we're breaking rules, tell us what rules we're breaking. But could we post here without all this double-standard sneering?

thank you

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. When a Mod suggests you take the argument to PM and you piss on their shoes nothing good comes of it.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
From SFJ: But...is it freelancing? If so, is that the ultimate bottom of the barrel job?

Yes, it's freelancing. Freelancing is any type of work done by an independent contractor. Is it freelance 'writing?' Well, they are writing. It's just another different form of writing, and one that takes less talent.

I guess spam writing is to freelance writing what telemarketing is to a sales position.

Both are very bottom of the barrel employment. I respect people who will do what it takes to provide for their family, however, when you impose upon others to do so... I believe that's just wrong.