Idea to make AW some $$$ AW book lists that show up on Google???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
So the other day I was in the mood for some Sci-Fi, went to google and typed up TOP 100 Sci-Fi books.

And for some reason only a couple of usable lists came up.

Then I thought to myself, with all the threads that pop up about recommendations, why the hell hasn't anything from AW popped up?

My idea: Can we do an AW top 100 list of books for each category: Sci-Fi, Horror, Romance, Suspense, Classics, CHILDRENS LIT etc. etc.

Perhaps declare a month (i.e. July is Sci-Fi month) and members list their favorite books and then we vote on them with a point system. Each member gets ten points/votes to distribute however they like or something to that effect. The end result would be an AW list.

Maybe 100 is too ambitious for some categories, maybe top 10 or 20 is better.

Anyways, my thoughts were that a list such as this showing up on google would be a great way to traffic in new people, maybe even be a way to bring AW some more sponsorship money if the list becomes a popular metric on the web :D.

There are some logistics to work out of course (setting up the voting, recommendations, nominations, perhaps making the list a separate webpage, etc, etc), but overall something like this should be doable.

Also, do we have any official AW Lists? I don't think we do.

Spins off could include redoing the voting every 4 yrs or something to that effect.

Anyways, just a thought.

Comments? Suggestions?

Mel...

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
dgiharris: Sounds like a great idea! I wouldn't know how to arrange one, but if AW decides to do this, I'll definitely join!

My idea: Can we do an AW top 100 list of books for each category: Sci-Fi, Horror, Romance, Suspense, Classics etc. etc.

Where's children's lit? :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This is a very cool idea, actually. :) We could start with a top ten list for different genres, YA, kids books, and so on, and put the individual lists in static html pages on the site, after the voting is finished. I think it would be enormous fun just to know how the votes come out, too, honestly. *g* I'm always curious about which books people love most.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I like points.

I like books.

Sounds like win-win to me!

:)

-Michelle

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome idea.

We also need a list of all AWer's books in one place (the library has lists of everything by author, unless I missed a vital thread). (I also thought that's what the thread title implied)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
dWhere's children's lit? :D

They are in the etc. etc. :D

Awesome idea.

We also need a list of all AWer's books in one place (the library has lists of everything by author, unless I missed a vital thread). (I also thought that's what the thread title implied)

Yes, I like that idea too. I would love to start reading some of the AWer books :D

Mel...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
See, that's my contention. Children's literature is a legitimate course of the literary banquet -- not part of the side dish named "etc etc" :tongue

Fine, i've made a correction. Is it to your satisfaction?

Mel...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a very cool idea to me...

Could either a top-100 list or a grand list of books by AWers get linked up with Powell's Books links (since AW is a partner with them or affiliate or whatever you call it)? That way it's easier to find the book for sale. And if people click over to Powell's and buy it I think AW makes a teeny bit of money?

(Note that I have no idea how any of that might be done.)

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea. I've been meaning to go about ranking books in some shape or form lately.

Deleted member 42

Sounds like a very cool idea to me...

Could either a top-100 list or a grand list of books by AWers get linked up with Powell's Books links (since AW is a partner with them or affiliate or whatever you call it)? That way it's easier to find the book for sale. And if people click over to Powell's and buy it I think AW makes a teeny bit of money?

(Note that I have no idea how any of that might be done.)

Yeah, that's what Mac meant about the Web pages; y'all come up with lists, and we'll even put them on the Web site, with links.

I don't know if AW would actually make any money--in all the years Mac's owned AW and linked to Amazon, the site never even made a $100.00, or anything close to it from Amazon.

The Powell's link hasn't generated any money either, but from MacCannister's POV, it's more important that authors' books are being bought, than it is for AW to make money, so she's fine with that.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
And then on top of all that, there could also be an "all-time" list which ranks the books which seem to be most popular/getting the most votes overall. Very cool idea dgiharris! :) I also hang out at another website (Warbeats.com) where aspiring *beatmakers* hang out and they introduced a very cool system where people vote on their peers' beats, then they appear on a series of charts (all-time, best composition, best mixing/mastering etc.) so it would be cool to have something like that for books. I'll be watching to see if this comes to fruition! ;)

Heck, it would also be cool if a voting system was introduced even to the SYW forums, where AW members can rate/rank work that other people are submitting as a way of showcasing writers on AW who are doing really good work. It is a great motivator, because it pushes people to want to put their best foot forward in the hopes of making the *top ten* or whatever for each category. Hey, I know it's overambitious but it would be cool. :D

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't get so excited about lists, but the finger-tapping, chain-smoking OCD freak inside of me is so, so excited...

Can we have a cross-referenced list of authors who appear in more than one category? Bracketed info on the particular book's overall sales? A breakdown of which years produced the best books? And while we're breaking it down by year, we might as well do a country by country list where we can see what nations have the most authors listed...

I'm only upset that I didn't think of this first.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
hell I'll join, vote and nomintate.

I have Dreamweaver and a little talent for making pages if its needed to boot.

First question, Whats the first step? You proposed it now your the leader of the project, Mr. Harris.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
hell I'll join, vote and nomintate.

I have Dreamweaver and a little talent for making pages if its needed to boot.

First question, Whats the first step? You proposed it now your the leader of the project, Mr. Harris.

See, this is why you should never volunteer an idea :D

O.k.

I'll come up with a survey and ranking system for AW (I have some background in making surveys)

My initial thought would be to make a sticky in each forum and do a top 10 list. Not sure if we have the depth to do a top 100 list, but we'll play it by ear.

Maybe to begin with we'll do a top 10 and top 25 list and see how that goes.

I'll break out a plan of action and hopefully we can get volunteers for each action

Mel...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to use a point-per-vote system? A 'top ten' list where the #1 book on a list is worth 10 points and #10 worth 1 point; the totals tallied, and placements awarded in accordance with the points system? Do long-standing members' views carry more weight? Who is going to proof-read the submitted lists for appropriate placement in each list (so a fantasy doesn't get placed in the sf list)?

What do you want volunteers for? I'll lend my hand to this (if you want me). :)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to use a point-per-vote system? A 'top ten' list where the #1 book on a list is worth 10 points and #10 worth 1 point; the totals tallied, and placements awarded in accordance with the points system? Do long-standing members' views carry more weight? Who is going to proof-read the submitted lists for appropriate placement in each list (so a fantasy doesn't get placed in the sf list)?

What do you want volunteers for? I'll lend my hand to this (if you want me). :)

Yeah, these and other questions are why something like this is harder than it first seems.

I'm almost inclined to try something using a Republic voting method/model.

Basically we vote on nominations and then the final determinations are made by a group who collectively have read all of the books being nominated. This way you ensure some sort of baseline and fair competitive analysis. i.e. someone who read Twilight and think its the best book ever but hasn't read Ann Rice's Interview with a Vampire would not be the best person when decided which is better, Twilight or IwaV.

I'll head to the library this weekend, do a little research and put something together for us next week.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I'm all ears.
There is a fair amount of subjectiveness that is unavoidable, however, what i'd like to do is make it as scientifically viable as possible.

Just off the top of my head (again), I think that when the list of nominees are determined, then in order to be considered a judge, that you've had to have read at least 25% of the books on the nominee list. This way, with a collective group, there would be enough depth to establish some commonality to compare books. i.e. using IwaV as a baseline, I think that Twilight is good but not as good as Vampire Earth, VE is better than IwaV and should be rated higher....

Again, I'll put something together and post it up next week when I have time :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped off in a bookshop on my way home and picked up 100 Must-Read Science Fiction Novels by Stephen E. Andrews & Nick Rennison (it's only £5.99 if anyone else wants to pick one up). It's one of the Bloomsbury Good Reading Guides, and I was told that a Fantasy guide will be out in October.

I'll have a skim through it tonight and see what they have to say about their choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.