• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drew S. Maser and Associates, Literary Agents

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's my turn to ask. Has anyone heard of Drew S. Maser and Associates, Literary Agents?

Thanks.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything in WritersMarket or PublishersMarketplace. In fact, when I Google "Drew Maser Literary agency", I don't get anything. Shoot, if he'd even posted on a board like this, there'd be something. This guy is keeping a low profile!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
I'm not saying this is what's going on in this case, but sometimes writers make up literary agencies to get around "no unagented" restrictions.
I vaguely remember one source that suggested using your aunt, best friend, or writing buddy as your supposed agent, but I can't cite it.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
he's very social, if it's him.

There's a picture of a Drew Maser (no initial) at a flea market here: http://www.cesop.org/tcfpics.html
(CESOP is the Computer Education Society of Philadelphia.)
And possibly the same Drew Maser in the Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers, the Philadelphia Toshiba Users Group and the Mustang Club of Central Pennsylvania.
No literary matches, though.

trebuchet

Hurls Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
I'm not saying this is what's going on in this case, but sometimes writers make up literary agencies to get around "no unagented" restrictions.

Wow, that's weird. Wouldn't an editor be able to see through that?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
trebuchet said:
Wouldn't an editor be able to see through that?

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they even write to resources such as P&E to ask for an opinion on the agency. I don't doubt for an instant that they might also write to other resources to ask their opinion about new agents on occasion.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they even write to resources such as P&E to ask for an opinion on the agency. I don't doubt for an instant that they might also write to other resources to ask their opinion about new agents on occasion.

It's amazing the trouble people will go through to avoid reading a submission!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
It's no trouble at all. You just toss the thing to the side, or in the return envelope, or whatever. Editors don't need excuses not to read a sub; they already have plenty of reasons.

If an editor is checking out my supposed agent, it's probably for one of three reasons:
1) My manuscript is good enough that the editor is considering it.
2) My ms is so bad that the editor boggled, "She has an agent?! Who the hell--?"
3) The editor said, "I don't recognize that agent's name. I wonder what's up with that?"

I can't imagine that, in any of the above cases, finding out I lied would dispose the editor towards me, or inspire confidence that I'm a good risk for publication.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
James D. Macdonald said:
At a writing conference several years ago, I heard about the members of a small localized romance writing group doing this. One of them was picked to be the agent representing all her fellow authors. They actually made it work -- but I can't imagine this working in today's marketplace. Also, I wonder what their contracts were like as she probably had no experience in negotiating contracts. (One of the most important reasons, if not the most, to have an agent.)

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Julie, how do you manage to grab hold of the wrong ends of that many sticks at once?

Batgirl, I'm impressed with your find. It never occurred to me to look for an image when I got no hits from text. I'll remember that in the future.

Aconite said:
It's no trouble at all. You just toss the thing to the side, or in the return envelope, or whatever. Editors don't need excuses not to read a sub; they already have plenty of reasons.
You got it.

The main reason an editor would be checking out an agent is a simple one: we don't recognize the name. If it's a legit agent we haven't dealt with before, we need to know that. If it's a self-proclaimed agent nobody's heard of before, we need to know that too. And if it's one of the bad guys, we definitely want to know.

And what's the main reason we want to know? So we can send the right rejection letter. It wouldn't do to send a form rejection letter to an established agent.

Dave, Victoria, Jim: what you said. There's no such thing as an invisible agent. I'll tag this one as a friend of the author acting as his agent. There's no penalty on the play. Besides, he wrote an admirably correct and businesslike cover letter: exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from an established agency that was submitting to you for the first time. You have to give the man points for that.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
HapiSofi said:
And what's the main reason we want to know? So we can send the right rejection letter. It wouldn't do to send a form rejection letter to an established agent.

*gasp* But...but...that means it's not about the author at all! Oh, woe! Oh, misery previously untold, which I shall now tell! Oh, damn. Another cherished illusion gone.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oh, damn. Another cherished illusion gone.
Don't believe a word of it, Aconite. This is really all about you. You and your writing.

Or else it's all about me and MY writing.

I'm certain of it.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good. I feel better now. Editors must just say stuff like that so we don't realize we can demand bigger advances and more respect.

Yeah.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
HapiSofi said:
Julie, how do you manage to grab hold of the wrong ends of that many sticks at once?

Hell, I was joking! Anyway, I have no idea what this means. How many sticks is it?

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*snerk*

Alrighty then, how shall I index this? Agent? Misc. questions? How editors work? :confused:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Alrighty then, how shall I index this? Agent? Misc. questions? How editors work? :confused:
D) All of the above

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Your wish is my command. :D

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Your wish is my command. :D
Really? *squinches eyes shut* I wish for a million dollars. No, wait. A million dollars, and Spike. And a pony. Okay, I think that's good. Go to it. I'll wait here.