The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew S. Maser and Associates, Literary Agents

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar

Drew S. Maser and Associates, Literary Agents

Okay, it's my turn to ask. Has anyone heard of Drew S. Maser and Associates, Literary Agents?

Thanks.

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    I don't see anything in WritersMarket or PublishersMarketplace. In fact, when I Google "Drew Maser Literary agency", I don't get anything. Shoot, if he'd even posted on a board like this, there'd be something. This guy is keeping a low profile!
    --Roger J. Carlson

practical experience, FTW
    Where did you find this shy agent??

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Nope.

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I'm not saying this is what's going on in this case, but sometimes writers make up literary agencies to get around "no unagented" restrictions.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    I'm not saying this is what's going on in this case, but sometimes writers make up literary agencies to get around "no unagented" restrictions.
    I vaguely remember one source that suggested using your aunt, best friend, or writing buddy as your supposed agent, but I can't cite it.

he's very social, if it's him.

There's a picture of a Drew Maser (no initial) at a flea market here: http://www.cesop.org/tcfpics.html
    (CESOP is the Computer Education Society of Philadelphia.)
    And possibly the same Drew Maser in the Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers, the Philadelphia Toshiba Users Group and the Mustang Club of Central Pennsylvania.
    No literary matches, though.

Hurls Adverbs
    Wow, that's weird. Wouldn't an editor be able to see through that?
    2006 Rejection Pledge: 3/5
    2006 Acceptance Pledge: 1/1, Woohoo!

"Every man, every woman, carries in heart and mind the image of the ideal place, the one true home, known or unknown, actual or visionary." -Edward Abbey

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trebuchet
    Wouldn't an editor be able to see through that?
    Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they even write to resources such as P&E to ask for an opinion on the agency. I don't doubt for an instant that they might also write to other resources to ask their opinion about new agents on occasion.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKuzminski
    Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they even write to resources such as P&E to ask for an opinion on the agency. I don't doubt for an instant that they might also write to other resources to ask their opinion about new agents on occasion.
    It's amazing the trouble people will go through to avoid reading a submission!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth
    I'd draw the opposite conclusion. It's amazing what people will do to get around clearly stated guidelines.

- Victoria

Gone
    It's no trouble at all. You just toss the thing to the side, or in the return envelope, or whatever. Editors don't need excuses not to read a sub; they already have plenty of reasons.

If an editor is checking out my supposed agent, it's probably for one of three reasons:
    1) My manuscript is good enough that the editor is considering it.
    2) My ms is so bad that the editor boggled, "She has an agent?! Who the hell--?"
    3) The editor said, "I don't recognize that agent's name. I wonder what's up with that?"

I can't imagine that, in any of the above cases, finding out I lied would dispose the editor towards me, or inspire confidence that I'm a good risk for publication.

At a writing conference several years ago, I heard about the members of a small localized romance writing group doing this. One of them was picked to be the agent representing all her fellow authors. They actually made it work -- but I can't imagine this working in today's marketplace. Also, I wonder what their contracts were like as she probably had no experience in negotiating contracts. (One of the most important reasons, if not the most, to have an agent.)
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Julie, how do you manage to grab hold of the wrong ends of that many sticks at once?

Batgirl, I'm impressed with your find. It never occurred to me to look for an image when I got no hits from text. I'll remember that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Aconite
    It's no trouble at all. You just toss the thing to the side, or in the return envelope, or whatever. Editors don't need excuses not to read a sub; they already have plenty of reasons.
    You got it.

The main reason an editor would be checking out an agent is a simple one: we don't recognize the name. If it's a legit agent we haven't dealt with before, we need to know that. If it's a self-proclaimed agent nobody's heard of before, we need to know that too. And if it's one of the bad guys, we definitely want to know.

And what's the main reason we want to know? So we can send the right rejection letter. It wouldn't do to send a form rejection letter to an established agent.

Dave, Victoria, Jim: what you said. There's no such thing as an invisible agent. I'll tag this one as a friend of the author acting as his agent. There's no penalty on the play. Besides, he wrote an admirably correct and businesslike cover letter: exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from an established agency that was submitting to you for the first time. You have to give the man points for that.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    And what's the main reason we want to know? So we can send the right rejection letter. It wouldn't do to send a form rejection letter to an established agent.
    *gasp* But...but...that means it's not about the author at all! Oh, woe! Oh, misery previously untold, which I shall now tell! Oh, damn. Another cherished illusion gone.

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Oh, damn. Another cherished illusion gone.
    Don't believe a word of it, Aconite. This is really all about you. You and your writing.

Or else it's all about me and MY writing.

I'm certain of it.

Gone
    Oh, good. I feel better now. Editors must just say stuff like that so we don't realize we can demand bigger advances and more respect.

Yeah.

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Damn straight.

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    Ha! You're both wrong. It's all about me. Me, me, me, me. And my writing.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    Julie, how do you manage to grab hold of the wrong ends of that many sticks at once?
    Hell, I was joking! Anyway, I have no idea what this means. How many sticks is it?

You guys.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    *snerk*

Alrighty then, how shall I index this? Agent? Misc. questions? How editors work? :confused:
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Alrighty then, how shall I index this? Agent? Misc. questions? How editors work? :confused:
    D) All of the above

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Your wish is my command.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Your wish is my command.
    Really? *squinches eyes shut* I wish for a million dollars. No, wait. A million dollars, and Spike. And a pony. Okay, I think that's good. Go to it. I'll wait here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast