Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Me? I don't make an effort. I'm the laziest writer I know. Oh, I can write forever...non-stop...but the editing process kills the shit out of me. My lack of effort will always be the weight around my neck.

Why do you think you fail as a writer?

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Though I love editing, I am still rather lazy about it.

And, while I write at a great clip when I am in the proper head space, I end up letting myself get sidetracked from writing too often. Even now, when I am excited about what little I have churned out (2K) of my rewrite, I am finding excuses not to write. I must say that this problem is new, however.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I edit too much. If I find I can't write, it's usually because there's something not quite right in what I've written recently. So I look back over the work and straighten the problem out. I re-read friom the start to make sure the whole is in good shape. Then I write a bit more - and come to a full stop again. Si I'd write as much in a year as most people write in a couple of months. But that's how I write. I wouldn't feel happy doing it any other way.

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
I edit too much. If I find I can't write, it's usually because there's something not quite right in what I've written recently. So I look back over the work and straighten the problem out. I re-read friom the start to make sure the whole is in good shape. Then I write a bit more - and come to a full stop again. Si I'd write as much in a year as most people write in a couple of months. But that's how I write. I wouldn't feel happy doing it any other way.
I do the exact same thing. :tongue
I like editing. I edit along the way. I finish and I edit the whole thing. I get irritated at my edits and spend hours just staring at it, wondering how I can get myself out of the mess.
A lot of time wasted right there.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm editing by chapter. I get too lost otherwise. So I write a chapter, edit it as best I can and move on to the next. I know I'll edit it again when I get the book done but I also know, this helps me to remember what I wrote last. ;)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too much self-doubt. It fuels my naturally procrastinating nature, and stuff just doesn't get done, because I always think, "Oh, well, it just sucks anyway. No big loss."

Ugly cycle, I know. Occasionally, I can break out of it, though.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
It's those damn kids!

himynameisamanda

Registered
Reaction score
I write quickly, get it all out, and then leave it alone for a week, and then edit the hell out of it. I’ll read my own book like 30 times, but I think that’s where I fail. When you read something too much, you can’t tell what’s good or what’s bad anymore.

And then I start to researching agents and publishing (again) and getting incredibly overwhelmed, because of how impossible it all seems.

My stupid little book that I wrote has to go up against a bad economy, a changing market, make it past a slush pile of thousands of query letters to get an agent, who then has to beat out lots of other eligible titles to get a publisher, who has to try and get my book on shelves so people will actually buy it, and then somebody has to look at it and go, “Yeah. This is worth $6.” There’s too many steps to fail.

It seems like even the greatest book ever written hardly stands a chance, and I can guarantee that my book is not the greatest book ever written.

So then I write my book, get as perfect as possible, send off query letters, and declare that it will never, ever be published and I’d better learn to live with that.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I write quickly, get it all out, and then leave it alone for a week, and then edit the hell out of it. I’ll read my own book like 30 times, but I think that’s where I fail. When you read something too much, you can’t tell what’s good or what’s bad anymore.

And then I start to researching agents and publishing (again) and getting incredibly overwhelmed, because of how impossible it all seems.

My stupid little book that I wrote has to go up against a bad economy, a changing market, make it past a slush pile of thousands of query letters to get an agent, who then has to beat out lots of other eligible titles to get a publisher, who has to try and get my book on shelves so people will actually buy it, and then somebody has to look at it and go, “Yeah. This is worth $6.” There’s too many steps to fail.

It seems like even the greatest book ever written hardly stands a chance, and I can guarantee that my book is not the greatest book ever written.

So then I write my book, get as perfect as possible, send off query letters, and declare that it will never, ever be published and I’d better learn to live with that.
OH wow...you soooooooooo need a hug... :Hug2:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm overenthusiastic. I send pieces out way before they're ready. Can't help it. It's like a drug... 'oh, i love it, i love it, i love it, let's send it somewhere, let's send it somewhere, where should i send it, oooh, let's send it here, let's send it here, it's sent, it's sent, it's sent, wooohooo.' And then a rejection comes back (we're talking short stories here) sometime in the future and i look over the story again and think 'what the hell was i on?' And then I edit and then the process repeats.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impatient and very self-conscious. Every rejection means I have to spend more time on this step, and also puts a damper on my fragile ego.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'm overenthusiastic. I send pieces out way before they're ready. Can't help it. It's like a drug... 'oh, i love it, i love it, i love it, let's send it somewhere, let's send it somewhere, where should i send it, oooh, let's send it here, let's send it here, it's sent, it's sent, it's sent, wooohooo.' And then a rejection comes back (we're talking short stories here) sometime in the future and i look over the story again and think 'what the hell was i on?' And then I edit and then the process repeats.
*giggles* I wish I had some of that!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*giggles* I wish I had some of that!
:) Ah, but the kicker is when the rejection comes back and i look over the story again and spend a whole lot of time slapping myself for being such an idiot and sending it out before it was ready--'i'm a fool, what was i thinking, am i a complete moron, look at it, this doesn't make sense, the pacing of that section is totally off-kilter, this character isn't even necessary, and now i've just wasted a perfectly good market who've probably blacklisted me for life, arggghhh,' and so on. Though possibly with more pirate noises and expressions--'yarr, you stupid landlubber, you should be keelhauled for this, arrrrr.'

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
:) Ah, but the kicker is when the rejection comes back and i look over the story again and spend a whole lot of time slapping myself for being such an idiot and sending it out before it was ready--'i'm a fool, what was i thinking, am i a complete moron, look at it, this doesn't make sense, the pacing of that section is totally off-kilter, this character isn't even necessary, and now i've just wasted a perfectly good market who've probably blacklisted me for life, arggghhh,' and so on. Though possibly with more pirate noises and expressions--'yarr, you stupid landlubber, you should be keelhauled for this, arrrrr.'

Ahhhhh...I have an inner editor like that. I end up covering my ears and screaming ...shut up-shut up-SHUT UP!

:D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
do i want to know?
Barrrk, you call that a story? Polly wants a crackya head...

*runs off back to terrible punville and hides amongst the overgrown one-liners*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.