Last Game you have played...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Heartbreaking, if not terribly unexpected. Bioware spent three games dangling that spoiler in front of us, and you ever notice how many frickin' wolf statues they stuck into the corners of DA:I. Solas is still my dawg, though, literally and figuratively, if Bioware even pulls itself out of it's death spiral I plan to sink in many hours figuring out how to reconcile.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
if Bioware even pulls itself out of it's death spiral

So...their two most recent releases have been the best-selling installment in one series and the second-best-selling installment in another series, they have a hugely-anticipated new IP on the horizon for 2018, and they're not being subtle in the slightest about how development has started on the next Dragon Age game...

...and they're in a "death spiral"?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Well, then let's downgrade my hyperbole from 'death spiral' to, let us say, 'troubled'. Fair? Anyways, I'd much rather you be right than me in this instance, three months ago I was biting back on the Kinja boards against ME:A haters (it's an ok game!). Still, all cynics are heartbroken romantics, and a big part of me worries the company's best days are behind it. Guess time will tell.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that BioWare is not as consistently good across the board as it once was. They've shifted over to trying make games that use more mainstream mechanics, like the open world format, but I wouldn't describe it as a rousing success, especially when you compare it to the actual successful examples, like Witcher III, that accomplished everything BioWare wanted from a game mechanic perspective, but still managed to nail intriguing characters and writing as well. I understand the business decisions behind it, since obviously you want more of that "mainstream gamer money," and sticking to traditional RPG mechanics may be too complex and intimidating in today's gaming world. But as a result, I'm now at the point where I'm thinking "CD Projekt has my money, on day one pre-order the second it's available for Cyberpunk," while BioWare has me thinking "I might wait for reviews on the next Dragon Age first, then make my decision." It used to be I'd get a BioWare game day one, no question, but the last two games have made me rethink that. They're still great writers, but the actual game-game part is not firing on all cylinders, especially the pacing, with these open world games.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've played enough of the Witcher games to know their bland gameplay and love of shallow "dark fantasy" clichés all too well.

But I think it's fair to say that people have different tastes, and something not appealing to someone is not indicative of its objective quality.

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow of Mordor. Bought it during the Steam Summer Sale and finally got around to downloading it. It's really good; a bit on the easy side, but listening to orcs banter about their human slaves as you sneak up on them with a blade is too much fun.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
Seeng how I just got a switch, first thing I bought was Sonic Mania.

And I'm loving it to bits.

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
I've been sucked into the time sink that is Star Dew Valley. It's so good.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I play Hasbro's UpWords to wind down after a long work cycle. Stackable Scrabble-like game. I tend not to game much, otherwise (outside of Microsoft games like Spider Solitaire, Freecell, and Minesweeper).

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Just finished Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Minion Quest. I enjoyed M&L:SS the first time through, still did this time despite remembering how awful a certain boss is. Minion Quest is just adorable. It's a team-building autorunning combat game with a rock-paper-scissors element playing as Bowser's minions hunting him down when he goes missing at the start of the main story. Pick your team of 8 based on what you're going to be fighting and do 2 to 7 fights in a row with that team, only interacting with timing prompts, interrupting enemy prompts, or boosting your team. Pretty simple, but well-made and engaging. For the most part it fits well into the main game's story with a lot of cute and quirky moments playing with the loyal minions. Can definitely recommend it to Mario fans.

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
PS4 - Uncharted 4
Wii - Super Mario Brothers 3 (with 5 yr old nephew)
Board: (Monopoly Jr), but more fun was Forbidden Island

:)

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
Fortnite (Battle Royale).

Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2, Last of Us 2, and Anthem. Shame they've all been pushed multiple times!

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Working my way through The Last of Us Remastered for the second time. First played it last year, years after watching a playthrough on YouTube. Playing on Hard Mode. Its more entertaining than Normal Difficulty.

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Do board games count? Last night I played Hero Realms with a friend and my fiancé. Today I'm at a board game café and will probably play a game or two at least over the course of the day.

Otherwise —*last night, I was watching my fiancé play Skyrim. ^^

rawan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently playing Mother 3 (the sequel to the SNES game Earthbound). I really loved Earthbound, but I'm having a hard time getting into Mother 3. It's a lot more serious and seems to cut back on the humor and goofiness that I liked so much in Earthbound. But... tons of people love this game, so I'm giving it a fair shot. Although I'm 3.5 hours in and pretty bored....

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently playing Mother 3 (the sequel to the SNES game Earthbound). I really loved Earthbound, but I'm having a hard time getting into Mother 3. It's a lot more serious and seems to cut back on the humor and goofiness that I liked so much in Earthbound. But... tons of people love this game, so I'm giving it a fair shot. Although I'm 3.5 hours in and pretty bored....

Will NEVER beat EB, a game so great you cannot comprehend the nature of its attack. But I would recommend sticking with M3, the experience definitely was definitely worthwhile for me, and not just for the nostalgia trip.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I just finished my third playthrough of Brutal Legend, and am playing Batman: The Enemy Within.
Also, D&D.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished a game called Doki Doki Literature Club. I played it on recommendation from a friend who urged me to do it after I said it "didn't sound like my thing" judging from the title. That and the fact it was a freebie on Steam, which made me put my guard up, but my god...

What started off as a really cutesy visual novel / dating sim very quickly turned into a 4th wall breaking psychological horror. I finished it last night, but I didn't sleep very well afterwards. I highly recommend it, but heed it's warnings at the start of the game, it's not for those who are easily disturbed.

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing League of Legends lately. Would not recommend >.<. It's such a time suck, and almost always eats into my time for reading. But I've always had a love/hate relationship with video games since the beginning. It's always at odds with my writing.

paradoxikay

everything happens so much
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age at a friend's insistence, so this past week I've been delightfully overwhelmed with nostalgia. I never played XII when it was first released but FFX is one of my all-time favorites, and XII is just similar enough to feel familiar and comfortable.

Though right this second I'm avoiding my PS4 entirely, because the power went out earlier and I hadn't saved in a while and I really don't know why I keep assuming my PS4 will be fine in sleep mode when the power flickers or goes out entirely on a biweekly basis here...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Playing Tides of Numenera. Very unique game, I'd say it lives up to its tagline as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment (with the caveat that nothing will, or needs to, replace the original game. Weird, creative setting based on a PnP, immortal amnesiac PC, lots of text, more existentialism than your freshman year in college.

It's funny, because it doesn't really feel like a full game. There's no challenge, just passing easy stat checks. The inventory is irrelevant, and animations and overworld detail are minimal. It's really just reading text and walking around. But none of that diminishes the fun factor for me. Its a different kind of experience, and requires patience, but I'm loving it. Shows whats you can do with a game when you accept certain limitations.

Heard the Baldur's Gate saga is coming to the Xbox. I never finished that series, so looking forward to it.