A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173236373839404142
Results 1,026 to 1,035 of 1035

Thread: Last Game you have played...

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Heartbreaking, if not terribly unexpected. Bioware spent three games dangling that spoiler in front of us, and you ever notice how many frickin' wolf statues they stuck into the corners of DA:I. Solas is still my dawg, though, literally and figuratively, if Bioware even pulls itself out of it's death spiral I plan to sink in many hours figuring out how to reconcile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbartolotta View Post
    if Bioware even pulls itself out of it's death spiral
    So...their two most recent releases have been the best-selling installment in one series and the second-best-selling installment in another series, they have a hugely-anticipated new IP on the horizon for 2018, and they're not being subtle in the slightest about how development has started on the next Dragon Age game...

...and they're in a "death spiral"?
    lilyWhite's 2018 Flash Fiction Countdown thread!
    (password is "flashed" — check out everyone else's too!)

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Well, then let's downgrade my hyperbole from 'death spiral' to, let us say, 'troubled'. Fair? Anyways, I'd much rather you be right than me in this instance, three months ago I was biting back on the Kinja boards against ME:A haters (it's an ok game!). Still, all cynics are heartbroken romantics, and a big part of me worries the company's best days are behind it. Guess time will tell.

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    I think it's fair to say that BioWare is not as consistently good across the board as it once was. They've shifted over to trying make games that use more mainstream mechanics, like the open world format, but I wouldn't describe it as a rousing success, especially when you compare it to the actual successful examples, like Witcher III, that accomplished everything BioWare wanted from a game mechanic perspective, but still managed to nail intriguing characters and writing as well. I understand the business decisions behind it, since obviously you want more of that "mainstream gamer money," and sticking to traditional RPG mechanics may be too complex and intimidating in today's gaming world. But as a result, I'm now at the point where I'm thinking "CD Projekt has my money, on day one pre-order the second it's available for Cyberpunk," while BioWare has me thinking "I might wait for reviews on the next Dragon Age first, then make my decision." It used to be I'd get a BioWare game day one, no question, but the last two games have made me rethink that. They're still great writers, but the actual game-game part is not firing on all cylinders, especially the pacing, with these open world games.

I've played enough of the Witcher games to know their bland gameplay and love of shallow "dark fantasy" clichés all too well.

But I think it's fair to say that people have different tastes, and something not appealing to someone is not indicative of its objective quality.
    lilyWhite's 2018 Flash Fiction Countdown thread!
    (password is "flashed" — check out everyone else's too!)

Shadow of Mordor. Bought it during the Steam Summer Sale and finally got around to downloading it. It's really good; a bit on the easy side, but listening to orcs banter about their human slaves as you sneak up on them with a blade is too much fun.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin D_Shalayek's Avatar
    Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES.

practical experience, FTW
    Seeng how I just got a switch, first thing I bought was Sonic Mania.

And I'm loving it to bits.

Follow me on Twitter

Dark Souls 1... Again! >>

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Barfus's Avatar
    I've been sucked into the time sink that is Star Dew Valley. It's so good.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173236373839404142