• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Twisted Library Press / Library of Horror Press / Library of the Living Dead

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Looks very much like a fan publication and doesn't appear to be claiming to be anything else. One cent a word, one contributor's copy, and printing in time for a horror convention. Whole different world from commercial publication.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is already a thread here on Permuted Press. They are not open to submissions at this time.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The link is an announcement of the market on Permuted Press's forum. LoH is not part of Permuted Press.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that is Permuted Press. The OP is not asking about them.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I'm sorry. There are so many links listed there I got confused.

Dr. Pus

Registered
Reaction score
Not a fan publication

"Library of the Living Dead Press" and it's sister publishing company "Library of Horror Press" are not "fan publications". We are a full production publishing company. Currently we have 11 book published with at least 15 more to be available by the fall of 2009. We open our business in November, 2008.

If you would like to note some of our sales and rankings on Amazon please check out "Zombology", "Sunrise" and "Dead Tide". We currently have published new authors as well as award winning authors.

My dream is to retire from my Dental practice in 3 years and publish books as a full time job. The one cent per work and a copy of the book applies only to the anthologies. Our authors who have novels published work on a sliding pay scale starting out at 25% of the royalties.

We are not a flash in the pan.

Thank you,

Dr. Michael C. West
"Library of the Living Dead Press"
"Library of Horror Press"

Check us out at www.libraryofthelivingdead.com and also the full production podcast at www.dr-pus.podomatic.com.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Dr. West. Please keep us updated; the genre needs solid small presses.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
This decision was not made due to the recent events that have taken place on the board. If any of you don't know, I'm a huge supporter of the GLBT community. They are my brothers and sisters.

I don't care how much is "going on in your life right now," that's not how I was raised to treat family members. The sad thing is that I saw a lot of good being said about the proposed anthology. Plenty of writers in the Outer Alliance were considering submitting.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I pulled the LBGT Anthology was NOT from complaints from the straight community, it was from complaints from the LBGT community. They were upset that an Anthology written by straight authors could cast a bad light on the gay community. I had no complaints from the straight authors.

Some of the complaints from my LBGT authors were "gays will be displayed in a bad light", "This is a gimmick", "No good can come from straight people writing about gays."

These gay authors are my friends as well as my authors. I did not want to upset THEM. Thus I pulled the Anthology.
Good grief.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a member of the gay community, I'm really disheartened that gay authors would behave that way.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
As a member of the gay community, I'm really disheartened that gay authors would behave that way.

Do you really buy that? I don't.

All the talk about it I have seen from LGBTQI writers was "Hey, why'd they cancel that anthology? And issue such a weird statement about it?"

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I see a createspace link in the OP for Zombology. Is this another "publisher" using createspace? Just asking as it seems I've seen a couple publishers now using CS, which I don't get because an author can do CS themselves and reap more profit.
I must say, to their credit, I do like the covers.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you really buy that? I don't.

All the talk about it I have seen from LGBTQI writers was "Hey, why'd they cancel that anthology? And issue such a weird statement about it?"

Dunno. I believe that most LGBTQI writers don't feel that way, but I know some who do. I've had several lesbian readers tell me that they won't read lesbian fiction written by a non-lesbian, and several lesbian writers tell me that they won't publish with anyone but a small lesbian press because that will help ensure no one but lesbians read their work.

Since the Lambda Literary Foundation announced this year the change in eligibility for the Lammies -- that only books by GLBT authors can be nominated -- there seems to be a growing rift among GLBT writers.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I see a createspace link in the OP for Zombology. Is this another "publisher" using createspace? Just asking as it seems I've seen a couple publishers now using CS, which I don't get because an author can do CS themselves and reap more profit.
I must say, to their credit, I do like the covers.

Not necessarily. The publisher can still do things like cover design & promotion that the author can't. And this totally doesn't apply to anthologies--somebody's gotta put those together. But I'm getting off topic (although this isn't the first time I've seen people comment on LLD's use of CS...for some reason it seems to go hand in hand with the fallout from this anthology cancelation).

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
What's really weird about this one is the changing (and, to my mind, opposing) messages from the publisher. First, it was cancelled due to 'homophobia', as you can read here (cached, as apparently the message has now been deleted).

Then he said, 'I was the one who gave the go ahead for the Anthology. But with all the things that are going on in my life right now I didn't think it all the way through. I became afraid I would upset people by publishing the book. That's the reason in a nutshell.' There was a post on the publisher's website, but it's been deleted. I got the quote from Jim Hines' blog, and I believe that he's trustworthy enough not to be lying about what that page said at the time. The fact that it's been deleted is interesting in and of itself. Look at the language of the URL:

http://libraryofthelivingdead.lefora.com/2010/02/11/the-queer-bent-anthology-an-explanation/

Then he posted his reason for killing the anthology in a comment on Hines' blog. This is where he says, '...it was from complaints from the LBGT community.'

This is what doesn't square with his original reason blaming it on 'homophobia'. Gay folks who don't want straight folks treading on 'their territory' aren't, by any definition I can imagine, 'homophobic'; their motivations are completely different.

Finally, again via a comment on Hines' blog, he changed his mind and announced the project was getting a green light. You can read that here.

All in all, a very unprofessional way to handle something.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I was annoyed by the "Last and final words on te LGBT anthology fiasco" thread on the forum. Yes, I'll give Doc credit for admitting that he made mistakes initially. So many people in his situation don't even do that. But I don't give him credit for the anger directed at the bloggers (especially on his own forum, where only members can post) or the part where he mentioned that he thought of "shittcanning" his publishing company because of this.

I understand that it's a "labor of love" press, and that's cool. Some of the best small presses were started that way. It can be hard to mix business and pleasure. But even when you start a labor of love press, you have to understand that sometimes things will happen that will frustrate the hell out of you -- and that if you just give up, you will disappoint both fans and writers.

The thread, like so many of the other related threads on their boards, was locked. Also, the other posts were visible yesterday, but now they're all hidden. I guess they changed the thread settings.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It all just seems so sad. It truly appears that a man who wants to please everyone is unraveling on-line. All the explanation-changing and thread-locking strikes me as the fumblings of a man who can't stand to be though poorly of by anyone. At this point he's actually got my sympathy.

Not my story, though. Just my sympathy.

I'm sure he's a very nice dentist.

EricK

Registered
Reaction score
I just got one of thier anthologies from my friend and it was horribly formated. Some of it was justified some of it wasn't, some of the page numbers were in italics, some pages didn't have numbers. A ten year old with microsoft word and an hour to kill could have made a better looking book.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I'm thinking of submitting to the Ghostology anthology. Anyone got any updates? I'm particularly thinking in terms of sales and visibility. The main domain name has expired (though the forums are still up), which isn't inspiring confidence.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Aha. The old address (without the 'the') still comes up higher on google, and the link from the forum wasn't working for me earlier either.