Another Blog...

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I think I finally have my Belisarius blog in a place where I'm comfortable linking to it...

The aim of this blog is twofold. First, it's there to serve as a "production diary" of sorts, tracking the research, planning, and writing process in more-or-less real-time. My plan is to offer some thoughts along the way, maybe talk through pacing issues or open the door to my research methodology, that sort of thing.

Second, it's there to shine some light on Belisarius, his life and his times. Aside from the factoid and brief history type posts I have up so far, I'm also planning character bios, posts examining the varying interpretations of events and how they unfolded, and of course maps. Because who doesn't love maps?

Parts of it are still rough, but the blog can be found at: http://lastroman.wordpress.com/

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Very nice!

This IS a period neglected by history teachers. Often it's, "The Roman Empire fell. The Dark Ages happened. Now, the Renaissance!" The Byzantine Empire in general is often neglected. I was really interested reading about Belisarius. Can't wait to read more.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Very nice!

Thanks! Glad you like it!"

This IS a period neglected by history teachers. Often it's, "The Roman Empire fell. The Dark Ages happened. Now, the Renaissance!" The Byzantine Empire in general is often neglected.

This. The Byzantine Empire is often treated as little more than a footnote to the collapse of the Western Roman Empire (i.e. the eastern empire lived on for another 1000 years - now let's talk about Charlemagne!). I wish it was more covered than it is...or that the option was even there. I couldn't even find a course on Byzantine history in college, and had to venture out on my own to do any real reading on it.

BravoYankee

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Doogs,

I think the Blog is brilliant. No one knows who Belisarius is, but they should. And I agree about Byzantine history's neglect in schools, even in universities. I took a class labeled the "Dark Ages", when it should have been changed just slightly and named "Byzantine History" and taken as a followup course to the "Roman History" course offered in the previous semester.

Also...

In my alternate history novel, which isn't set in Byzantine times, but during the reign of Claudius (or at least when he should have reigned), my characters go into an interesting discussion of the history of the Byzantines (they're time travelers from the 21st c.), and how important they were to the Western World. This discussion occurs because in my story, since events during the Roman Empire have changed, the Byzantine Empire never comes into existence, and the new 21st century world is very different (which they learn from another group that follows them back in time).

Keep up the good work Doogs, I'll refer some history buff friends to your Blog to get your hit counter up. :)

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Hey Doogs,

I think the Blog is brilliant.

Thanks! Don't know how I didn't see your post until just now, but I'm glad you're enjoying the blog.

Also...

In my alternate history novel, which isn't set in Byzantine times, but during the reign of Claudius (or at least when he should have reigned), my characters go into an interesting discussion of the history of the Byzantines (they're time travelers from the 21st c.), and how important they were to the Western World. This discussion occurs because in my story, since events during the Roman Empire have changed, the Byzantine Empire never comes into existence, and the new 21st century world is very different (which they learn from another group that follows them back in time).

That sounds very interesting - though I have to confess I'm a total sucker for alternate history!