• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Moving On

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Yes.

I bowed out of Writers.net several years ago for exactly the same reasons--a couple of people were following me around, picking apart everything I said (one person accused me of lying about having gotten an advance for my first novel). After I left, one or two people said nice things, and a couple of others posted long insulting screeds about what an elitist snob I was--with, moreover, no right to my snobbery because I was nothing but a genre writer.

Ann stuck it out, even though she has been subjected to the same crap on a semi-regular basis. But enough is enough.

Feh.

- Victoria

If you are going to choose a forum to give out sagely advice, it might as well be one with a good community ;)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, thank you for reaching out and helping so many! You truly are an inspiration and a beacon for so many!
hugs

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria isn't leaving AW; she merely slipped her shockcollar shucked the Mantle of Moddom. She's still an active member. And kept her jackboots.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't feel I've a right to post in this thread since I've been here such a short time, but there's something I think needs to be said, and which I'm ashamed to say never occurred to me till I saw Victoria's post:

How many of us say lightly in our posts 'shouldn't be here, should be writing'; 'must stop spending time on AW when I should be working'; 'X, who ought to be writing, not posting here' - and so on and so on ad infinitum?

Victoria is busier than any of us, both as a successful and much-in-demand writer, and also as an unpaid and often unthanked champion of less fortunate writers the world over. Yet she's found time to come to AW - not for fun, not for work-displacement, not when she's stuck on a paragraph and needs a distraction - she's done it solely to help other people.

It's so true you don't know what you've got till you lose it. I never even thought about what Victoria was giving until I saw she needed to pull back. I'm utterly ashamed of myself that I didn't, and can't say anything other than 'thank you so much for giving so much of yourself for so long'.

I hope, Victoria, you really will come back occasionally. New as I am, I still miss my heroine Jenna, who hasn't posted here since February, and hope very much you won't disappear in the same way.

You've every right to, and we've no right to ask you to give any more of your time here. But I hope you will, all the same... :)

Louise