Writing Prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a writing prompt that led to an amazing story? Maybe one that you were paid for?

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet. But working on it. :D Not exactly the glowing recommendation I'm sure you were hoping for, but it's what I've got. LOL

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really more curious as to what people's methods are for getting started with a story. Writing prompts, dreams, real life experiences etc.

Yesterday I started a story from a writing prompt and it's turning into something I really love. I've never done that before, and I think I'm definitely gonna try again.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using the monthly prompts in the SF/F forum to work out the back history of my novel universe. It's amazing what can spring from a one-word prompt.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really more curious as to what people's methods are for getting started with a story. Writing prompts, dreams, real life experiences etc.

Yesterday I started a story from a writing prompt and it's turning into something I really love. I've never done that before, and I think I'm definitely gonna try again.

In that case, then, my answer is "yes". I've gotten a couple of pretty good (IMO) stories from prompts, including one I'm working on right now and another I've got waiting in the wings.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a handful and a half stories started from a very nice book of prompts. They're not one-word prompts, tho--they're very challenging and intriguing prompts, and they often are about exercising specific writing muscles or tools.

I've only posted 3 stories here for crit, and they all came from that book's prompts.

I start stories in a *lot* of different ways. The one i'm working on now is from an old method of mine--i find 5-8 words/concepts in various reference material i have laying around and have to fit them all into a story. It sure short-cuts that 'first 3 ideas are cliche' thing. Most of my pubbed short stories are from that method--

the two that aren't are from prompts. Heh.

cat

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Has anyone ever used a writing prompt that led to an amazing story? Maybe one that you were paid for?
I don't know if it qualifies as an amazing story, but a few months back i sold a story based on a monthly prompt in the SYW SFF section. It comes out next month.

I also have a novel first-draft awaiting editing that developed from another SYW SFF prompt. And i'm currently trying to sell another story based on another set of prompts from the Share Your Work section.

Prompts can be very useful things.

cathyfreeze

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have started subbing a story I wrote for one of the horror monthly prompts. And yes, I think it's a pretty good story. :)

I can testify to that. Even before your last revision. :D

cat

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call mine amazing either, but I've sold five of my SFF prompt stories so far...and some of the prompts were down right kooky. (My robot/banana/cattle prod one comes out in August.) I can't wait till I get back in the SFF prompt groove. I just have to finish my novel first...

Nicole

cathyfreeze

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call mine amazing either, but I've sold five of my SFF prompt stories so far...and some of the prompts were down right kooky. (My robot/banana/cattle prod one comes out in August.) I can't wait till I get back in the SFF prompt groove. I just have to finish my novel first...

Nicole

Where? Online where i can read it? link, please! :)

I sold one that arrived from a 3-wd prompt, once. angel, amber, acrobat. Came out, lo, many moons ago, in Fantasy Magazine: http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=620

Cat Rambo's an absolute sweetheart to work with, btw. Totally recommend subbing to them. :)

cat

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a story idea from a composition title for my English IGCSE paper.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Where? Online where i can read it? link, please! :)

It's called "Memories and All That" and should be online at Space Squid in a couple months. (A really fun SFF market by the way. One of my faves. Check them out.)

Nicole

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The novel I'm sending out right now started with a friend asking me to write a character for him. He gave me a basic description of her, her clothes and her personality, and I wrote a scene with her lost in the woods. Pretty dull. But then I had to think why she was lost in the woods, and why she was wearing what she was wearing -- she's not wearing it anymore, but her need for the outfit led to another character and so on and so on.

She's a completely different character from the one my friend originally wanted. But that's just how she turned out, and a story formed around her all neat and tidy like with only a few little messes here and there (stories are notoriously difficult to house train).

Status
Not open for further replies.